Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please ...? >

Advice please ...?

Advice please ...?

Old 05-05-2011, 06:52 AM

I have one daughter that sews circles around me and my other one won't touch a machine. I did make her learn the basics in 4-H. I also like to cross-stitch and neither one of them will do that.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:58 AM

We all have different interests. That is what makes us who we are. If we all liked to quilt then nothing else would get done. I am happy that there are people who like to cook,clean and write books. I don't like other things but I need other people to do what I don't like so I can quilt. Get my drift? Leave the girl alone. She will find her own hobby. lol
Old 05-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Power Poster

Oh my goodness ... unless you want to be seen as the MIL from "HE double hockey sticks", then shhh!!

She's at a different stage in life and has different interests. Her non-productivity, as you mentioned (different words), may be her way of relaxing, whereas for you, it's sewing.

For now, she may only see the sewing machine as a means to an end for mending. Give her some time and space, and perhaps with that time, you'll see her start to be interested in what you are doing. There may be a specific quilt that will catch her eye, and she'll be begging for you to help her!

We can't "make" anyone do anything ... they have to have the "want".

I know this may be an exercise in frustration for you ... think of all the patience you can master along the way!

Good Luck!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:10 AM

Part of it depends on your motivation in wanting her to do this. Does it irk you to see her sitting around idle? If she works, keeps house, laundry, meals, everything running smoothly, maybe "just sitting" is her downtime. (and - imho - your son should be helping with all that)

If it is because you want to share a special joy/hobby with her, approach it like that. That you want to be able to share ideas, patterns, love of fabric, the mystery of how it all comes together into a thing of beauty with her, that you can marvel on it together, a way to bond with her, then tell her that.

But start way simple. Maybe a couple hours together. Rotary cut blocks. Lay the plain blocks on a design table, show her 3 or 4 ways you put them together, how different the look can be. & sew a throw that is hers when you're done.

If she doesn't love it, leave it alone after you've tried.

I see QuiltE & I said pretty much same thing, posting at same time, sorry.

One more thing, maybe the "doing nothing" is just TV couch time with your son. They're in love & the draw to be close to your special person is a powerful magnet. :D
Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by calano1
Originally Posted by calano1
My goodness!! Why did I wait so long before I asked?!?!
A BIG thank you to everyone for your responses ... I really do appreciate it!
I think the people on the Quilting Board are all under-cover psychologists!!!!! :)
Thank you all!

I think I may have spoken too soon ...

(SOME) of the people on the QB are under-cover psychologists ... :D :D :D :D

Others are just venting ... quite sad actually ...

Nevertheless ... those that did not take it personally and understood the questions gave wonderful advice. THANKS!!!:thumbup: :)
Glad to see you let those nasty comments roll right off your back. There was no need for that.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:33 AM

I am in agreement with the others. Not everyone shares an interest in quilting. When I was younger, quilting was the furthest thing from my mind. I remember my grandmother wanted to teach me knitting and crochet. At the time I had no interest. Yarn, needles and crochet hook sat in a Knitting bag she had given me. One day, I saw a poncho that was crocheted. I asked her if she could teach me the stitches again. She did and I was hooked on crocheting. Taught myself fancier crochet stitches. Once I had them all down pat, I ventured onto other things macrame (made a hanging lamp table). Now quilting. I am teaching myself, and I love it, relaxing and being creative with fabric.
Don't push her, if and when she is ready she will turn to you.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:52 AM

My advice is to just let her enjoy your sewing for now. I only became interested in quilting after I was in my 60's!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I think the harder you push, the more she will push back. Just enjoy what you do and share when you can. If she has any inclination at all, she'll start asking questions and want to join in.
I'm thinking this, too. :? If she does want to make anything else -- you said she made a lunch bag and an apron --, then you might suggest you have a day together for sewing and fellowship. You can both sew what you bring, she will see your passion, and might begin to appreciate what you do and the conversation would take a natural turn towards quilting. Your interest might begin to rub off on her. If it doesn't, just love her anyway and appreciate her other many talents. After all, the best interest she has is her interest in your son. ;) ;)
Old 05-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Quiltings not for everyone. I wouldn't force it on her because then she might get the wrong impression of you and it may cause unwanted tension between both of you and you don't want that. Just let her be and if she ever does show an interest then you can have fun.

cjomomma

What she said. :thumbup:
Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 AM

Since she made an apron, if she enjoyed the process maybe you could help her pick out a really simple skirt pattern and the two of you could sew together, you could work on your project and she could work on hers and you'd be there if she needed it. If she's not interested and didn't enjoy the process, don't push. Maybe she'll find that she wants to try quilting once she sees you in action or maybe she'll want to sew garments or maybe she'll want to knit, crochet, cross-stitch or play video games... everyone has something that catches their fancy, sometimes it just takes a while.