Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice please ...? >

Advice please ...?

Advice please ...?

Old 05-06-2011, 06:52 AM

I wouldn't push her to make anything. Start out by having her help you pick out a pattern she might like and picking out the material. See if her interest lies in a quilt kit. Show her a catalog from Keepsake Quilting or Connecting Threads if it seems like picking out fabric is overwhelming her. Sometimes it takes a lot of looking and thinking before someone dives in and tries to make their own quilt.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:04 AM

If she has no interest in quilting, you can't make her want to quilt. You can't push quilting on someone.
Either you want to quilt or you don't. Apparantly she doesn't.
If you continue to push her it will eventually cause problems with your relationship.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:06 AM

It took a few years for my friend to keep inviting me to quilt before I finally decided, far away from her, to give it a try. She was both surprised and pleased that I had joined in her hobby/craft. Give her time, and continue to offer to help her if she decides to join you. Maybe you could get her to help you with a block(s)... see if she gets interested. Good luck. We need all the quilters we can get!!!!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:12 AM

In 1985 my mother decided I need to learn to quilt and pieced blocks for a signature quilt. I collected the signatures and then stored the blocks for 15 years. In 2000 I decided I wanted to quilt and am so thankful for my signature quilt top (still to be quilted this year). Left alone I decided on my own that I wanted to do this and have loved it ever since. I plan to hand quilt this one because it is so special. Three of the blocks are signed by family members that have passed away. Just give her time.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 AM

I like the idea of a shopping trip that includes a trip to a quilt shop, a craft shop and other places. Do this to learn her interests. Then .....back off. You want to be a caring, not pushy, future MIL. Glenda
Old 05-06-2011, 07:24 AM

I have two DILs. I got one hooked by taking monthly classes with her at our local Bernina shop. We've made hot pads, table runners, place mats.... those kinds of things. The other one came to two classes, never finished the second class -- she claims she's too tired to sew.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:28 AM

Leave her alone. If she wants to learn to quilt that should be her choice. I know it would be a great passion to share but you're trying to make her into what you want her to be. That's just as non-productive as marrying a man and then trying to mold him to your expectations. Doesn't work, just causes stress and strains the relationship. JMHO.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by calano1
I have pondered the following questions for almost a year now, and I still am not sure if I must or if I should leave it alone ...

My future DIL is the topic of discussion here ..

How do I get this young lady to take some interest in quilting / sewing /needlework???
She is truly a lovely young girl, but she has not learned to use her time wisely, or to make anything with her hands ...
She thinks a sewing machine is just for mending or fixing the odd seam ... :shock:

I have given her my old sewing machine and some fabric with which she made a lunch bag and an apron, so I think the interest might grow if I can just get the right project ....

So....here are my questions:

If I make up a kit with fabric and a pattern --- which patterns are interesting?

Shall I make it a "block of the month"-thing and give her a kit each month? Like a sampler?

Or must I keep to small projects that finishes fast so she will stay interested?

I would really like it if she takes an interest in quilting ... then I will have someone to leave all my sewing toys to!! hehehehe :) :lol: :wink:

But at the same time ...I don't want her to feel I am pushing her into something she doesn't want to do ...

I have read on QB how some of you got your GD's involved in quilting .... so I will wait for the wise women of the QB to speak ... please .... :) :)
Do you want a GOOD relationship with her?
Don't try to force the issue. It only makes it easier to push away.
You enjoy what you enjoy and let her enjoy and grow into who she is intended to be! Cherish each other for the beauties you have and let a great relationship grow. You never know. Maybe your future GRANDCHILDREN will want your stuff and will love it!!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:35 AM

Huh?
Originally Posted by Kutnso
I steam----but ladies, please tell me what the difference is between spraying and steaming??? Isn't the result the same???
Thanks, Kutnso
Old 05-06-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by nance-ell
I think the harder you push, the more she will push back. Just enjoy what you do and share when you can. If she has any inclination at all, she'll start asking questions and want to join in.
You did not say how lold she is. Perhaps in a few years her interest will grow as she sees you quilting but, until then I would leave it alone because you want to have a good relationshidp with her and your son. This is just how I see it,