Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice pls - make king quilt from 2 twins >

Advice pls - make king quilt from 2 twins

Advice pls - make king quilt from 2 twins

Old 06-13-2015, 08:27 AM

I would suggest using the QAYG method, there's one on here somewhere in "tutorials" can't remember the name of it, I wanna say something about Kim's method? Not sure, anyway, the lady doing the youtube tute has a foreign accent if that helps any, I just love watching her tutes! Also wanted to suggest maybe doing it in 3 sections instead of 2, don't know, just a thought!
Old 06-13-2015, 08:45 AM

Another idea that might work would be to use one twin in the center of the top and 1/2 twin on each side.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:47 AM

Thank you all for the excellent suggestions!! Keep them coming!
Old 06-13-2015, 09:50 AM

The reason you are having the fabric ripple is because it is not quilted. If the two pieces were sewn together every few inches, the fabric would not pull so much. There is a grid interfacing that you can buy. Sorry I don't know the name of it. I think Joann's sells it and you can use a coupon. I think it is iron on, but if not, you can spray baste on. Get fabric for wide backing. They have that there also. 108" wide.(Coupon time) Iron on the interfacing, piecing if you have to, to make the width and length you want. Make the first row of your quilt. Sew it to the grid. (I would start in center and work my way out on each side. That way you do not have much bulk.) Keep making rows and adding to grid. The grid will keep your seams straight and should not bow. Your new row will finish the last row each time, and you will be "quilting" the top and bottom together at the same time so that you will not have the shifting. The interfacing will not add bulk, it softens after it is washed. If you leave enough backing, you can turn it over to the front and sew down for your binding. I guess you could do the same without the backing, just using the interfacing as the foundation, that way you could still birth it, and the top would not ripple like the other.
Buy a small piece and try the technique to see if you like it before you invest, of course. That way, you can see if it would work for your project. I want to make a summer quilt also, and was thinking of using this technique. Probably won't be done for this summer as I have two others to finish first. As usual, lol!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:59 AM

I did this a few years ago for a relative. All suggestions above are good like-use king sheet for backing , sew & quilt in sections, and have one center stip. I did a qayg method but there are many ideas. Understand why you want a summer quilt.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:45 AM

Good suggestions from everyone. Have fun and show us pictures.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:01 AM

There are many Quilt as you Go tuts on You Tube. I use this method quit a lot on childrens quilts and am making a Queen that way. It really is pretty easy and looks very nice.
Old 06-15-2015, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by susiequilt View Post
Another idea that might work would be to use one twin in the center of the top and 1/2 twin on each side.
This was my idea also. Split one twin and put half on each side. You could change the borders as you like to make it look like it was suppose to be that way. A design element!
Old 06-15-2015, 05:42 PM

If you look at bedspreads they have a center pannel down the very center from top to bottom with 2 smaller ones on each side. It actually looks like one matching panel cut into from top to bottom and then pieced on either side.
That is the way a store bought bedspread looks laying on a king size bed.
The quilting will determine if it actually looks like a quilt with or without a batting. Jmho.
Old 06-16-2015, 02:18 AM

Thanks again for all the great ideas. I read each one and I am making mental notes of how to proceed. Just don't expect pics of my project any time soon!! I've got my original creation on the bed now. I can deal with the way it looks but it is nice to plan out how I will replace it one day.