Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice >

Advice

Advice

Old 10-16-2011, 03:25 AM

Maybe you can give the quilt to the family member she was the closes to. You can also give it to the Hospice home she lived in.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:31 AM

regarding the project in which you've lost interest...

I had such a project. I put it down for over a year (maybe it was three). But it kept gnawing at me all that time. I'd made some errors that were a bear to deal with. (Search board for "Lonestar gone wrong" for the story and photos.) I practically hated the quilt-- it was so frustrating for me. But I hated more that it was unfinished. I wanted it done more than I wanted to stop working on it.

If that's you, just push your way through it. You'll be glad to have it completed and behind you.

If that's not you, and you've really lost heart in it and know you're not going to finish it, consider selling it here as is; perhaps someone else will fall in love with it an take it off your hands.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

So sorry for your loss. You've already received lots of great suggestions as to what to do with this quilt.

I'll add another one ... it's also to give it to Hospice, but rather than as a fundraiser, or on one of the patient beds ... offer it to them to use as a Passage Quilt. Many Hospice's use quilts to cover the body on the gurney as they take it down the hall to the exit door, to the funeral home van.

It would be a perfect way to honour your MIL, and to comfort other families in their loss.

I hope to have my first Passage Quilt all put together today, and ready to send for quilting.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:56 AM

so sorry you have lost your Mother-in-law. just know that she is looking down on you and when the time is rigth, she will show what to do with her quilt.
Old 10-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

If your father in law is still alive, I would give the quilt to him, otherwise donating it to hospice is a good idea.
Regarding the quilt blocks you don't care for. It's a sampler quilt for heaven's sake! Just pitch them (or put them in your scrap box). Make additional blocks of the ones you like, or look on line for blocks that interest you and just replace them!
Old 10-16-2011, 05:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
Sheila..can you donate it to Hospice in her name?
this sounds like such a great idea. you can still feel that you are finishing it for her. maybe that will make you feel better about finishing it {{hugs}}
Old 10-16-2011, 01:11 PM

Put it aside until the grief has lessened. Somebody in the family may not want it today but perhaps might want it a year from now. My dad offered me something that belonged to my grandmother's sister shortly after she died. I turned him down then - I'd give my eye teeth to have it today.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
Put it aside until the grief has lessened. Somebody in the family may not want it today but perhaps might want it a year from now. My dad offered me something that belonged to my grandmother's sister shortly after she died. I turned him down then - I'd give my eye teeth to have it today.
I never turn down anything...lol. I have SO MUCH family stuff...especially that belonged to my parents since my mother moved in with us right after my dad died and then she passed away here...with Hospice care...5 years later. So...everything that she kept is still here. Plus a lot of my grandmother's things...Dad's mother. I do have a few things that belonged to my great aunt...one thing I have been wearing on my finger since my mother died. It is her diamond engraved wedding band. It's nothing extremely fancy but I LOVE the ring and a lot of people have told me how pretty it is. I also have her hand painted set of china and her coffee table that the top has a large floral hand painted pattern on it and then a piece of glass covers the top.

I just HOPE that when I am gone my kids KEEP the stuff and not sell it. Maybe I will specifiy that in my will...lol.