Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advice? Working with knits for a memory quilt >

Advice? Working with knits for a memory quilt

Advice? Working with knits for a memory quilt

Old 01-25-2016, 09:31 AM

Default Advice? Working with knits for a memory quilt

I'm working on a memory/first year quilt. I wanted to make it out of some of the clothes my daughter wore during her first year. My vision for the project was for it to be a quilt, with a pattern, just made out of her clothes, similar to the quilts I have that my grandmother and husband's great-grandmother made. So, of course, I need to have my pieces cut with accuracy. My pattern calls for 3.5 and 6.5 in squares, it's a very simple Irish Chain pattern.

I have very little apparel sewing experience, so I have never cut or sewn a knit fabric before.

I realized that I'd be fussy-cutting every piece, and it would be a lot of work, but I can't cut these knits accurately at all. I haven't done too many because I know what I'm doing isn't working, and I don't want to keep going and use up too many of the outfits. I'm accidentally stretching them out, or they're curling on me despite ironing (which doesn't help much).

I know they sell stabilizer for apparel sewing. Is that what I need? If so, what kind and how do I use it? I seriously have *no clue* what to do, but I have my heart set on this pattern and I don't really want to change it without exhausting all my options.

I jokingly told my husband when she was 1 (and I had all my outfits selected) that I'd be happy if I finished the quilt for her 5th birthday. She's almost 2.5 so I think my joke might actually be a reality!

Any help is appreciated!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Power Poster

You need to use a fusible stabilizer (also called interfacing) like is used for T-shirt quilts. You can get it at JoAnnes or Walmart. Here is one I have used:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pellon-Fus...-Bolt/21976551

Iron on wrong side of clothing. do a larger piece than what you want to cut and cut down AFTER fusible has been attached. Then proceed as you would with the rest.

Word of caution, I have made a memory quilt before on commission. It involved mixing fabrics and types. While it is doable, it was most definitely NOT a fun project and I would never do another. You are emotionally vested so you might not find it as frustrating as I did. Mixing various weights of fabric does not always go well with piecing. Be prepared for not all the seams lining up and a fair amount of fussing with it. Also be careful of applying too much heat to certain fabrics. Some knits will melt with too much heat from the iron, depending on what they are made of.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I would recommend an iron on interfacing, in a feather or light weight such as Pellon 911FF Fusible. They carry it at JoAnne's by the yard. Cut a piece a bit larger than the square you want to cut. Fuse it on the back following the instructions, then fussy cut your square.
Old 01-25-2016, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Along with fusible interfacing I recommend cutting so you gave 1/2" seam allowance instead of 1/4". Also, use a sharp, new needle or a ( knit) ball point needle. Lengthen you stitch length just a tad. I love making memory quilts! I hope your project ( smooths) out for you.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, I have never made a quilt with knits.