Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Advise me on prices, please? >

Advise me on prices, please?

Advise me on prices, please?

Old 08-19-2009, 03:06 PM

if you sell online it doesn't matter where you are. the price is the price. your quilts are stunning works.

i think the prices are just a tad low. on the smaller items, especially. i know people don't want to spend on small stuff, but they can take some time in the doing, can't they? on the queen quilt, i think you can ask $400. i know you want to sell off what you have, but would you take an order for a different color? would you charge extra for a special order like that? maybe you should consider it. in stock items and special order items. slightly different prices. after all, now you have to go shopping with someone else's colors in mind. maybe a $25-$30 difference? sound fair? at that price, it's a small percent. actually if you sell off your samples you can't take special orders, so keep those photos.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:41 PM

Thanks every one! My hubby and I have had some disagreements over my prices. He thinks I am WAY too low. I think that since the Facebook group is mostly local people I can't over price my items.

I have sold a runner, a name hanging and a crib quilt and a lap quilt. Not bad in three weeks I guess. But only the runner was already made. The rest have been orders. I paced my delivery dates and I am ahead of schedule.

Now does have anyone have any ideas as to which quilting frame I can use with my Janome 6600??

Old 08-19-2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by ai731
I agree with those who have said that your prices are very fair (and maybe even too low), and that you should seriously consider selling on Etsy. I think you will do very well with your baby quilts and name panels.

Could you tell me the name of the block in your "Butterflies at the Crossroads" quilt? We did it as a BoM at my Quilt Guild, but the lady who brought the directions couldn't remember what it was called!

Thanks!
Jan
Gee I am sorry I can't tell you the name of the block. I got the pattern from a book and it was called that in the book.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:10 PM

Your stuff is top top quality and I'd go a bit higher... unless you want to start lower to get customers coming--then raise them. They seem a bit--just a bit low to me. :wink:
Old 08-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by barnbum
Your stuff is top top quality and I'd go a bit higher... unless you want to start lower to get customers coming--then raise them. They seem a bit--just a bit low to me. :wink:
I agree, I think for that work you are to low. Even if it is in your neighborhood, the prices should reflect your costs + time+ profit. Your work is just beautiful!

Hugs,
Sharon
Old 08-19-2009, 05:38 PM

Yup. You mentioned doubling cost of materials--I've heard triple it.
Old 08-20-2009, 06:56 AM

Lori, your quilts, etc. are beautifully done and your color combinations are
perfect. Your prices are very good too, could be a bit more. Nancy
Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Mamagus
I have a Facebook group for selling my quilted items.

Would you like to have a look and tell me whether or not my prices are inline with what you'd think these items would be in your area?

Newfoundland has been in an "economic bubble" during the recession meaning that for the most part the recession hasn't affected us.

I am selling some things but getting mostly lookers. Is that about right?

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=102981553710

Thanks Lori
Lori

Your work is amazing!! Hopefully the next time I am out your way, I hope to be able to meet up with you!

Have you tried "NF Wanted" or Nf.wanted? can't remember the exact name, but Trevor goes to that site all the time. I'll find out the exact name of it when he comes home from his "guy's only" trip with his buddy in Vegas. He comes home tomorrow. I'll ask him over the weekend.

I have sold things off e-bay and have done pretty good. I haven't tried Etsy yet but I do have an account. Right now I sell most of my work through word of mouth. I get alot of sales from here at work. I will be going into Christmas production mode next month. I have people here at work now asking me what I will be selling this coming Christmas season.

My mum's friend is a sewer as well and alot of her sales are from word of mouth and she has built up a good client base.
How about advertising in your area, make up some posters, business cards, etc and post them in some of the tourist areas out your way. I know there are many in your area after going there myself last Fall. Trevor and I want to go back this Fall if we can for a long weekend!

Put a small classifed ad in the newspaper, or other local newspapers. If there is a consignment shop out your way look into it! That's how I started selling my work.

Start a blog/website!

ooh what about this??? Since your family owns O'Briens Whale Watching Tours, would you be able to approach them to put some of your work in their building to sell? How about making a line of products with icebergs, puffins and whales on them??? You know the tourists will suck that stuff
up!!!!

I would also bring my prices up a little bit more! You are worth the extra price!! Your work is fabulous!

Hope I could help!!

From one Newfoundlander to another!
Andrea
Old 08-20-2009, 11:14 AM

i'm still thinking that custom orders should be a wee bit more than in stock items. i really like the touristy whales idea. that sounds like a great thing to do. small stuff that they can travel with and bring home as gifts. trivots, runners, hangings. with machine applique. "hand made by local artist".
Old 08-20-2009, 01:06 PM

I think your prices are EXTREMELY reasonable - underpriced even. I think you just haven't found the right venue yet. Don't "give" your work away - your work is lovely and you deserve a good price for it.