Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
advise needed for quilting on grace metal frame >

advise needed for quilting on grace metal frame

advise needed for quilting on grace metal frame

Old 05-11-2011, 06:16 AM

I loaded a quilt on my grace frame nice and straight and every time I get close to the center to quilt my thread breaks! It looks like the take up bar is bowed but I don't have the quilt wound to tight so I have no idea what to do. I am so frustrated beyond belief as this quilt is for a raffle! I rethreaded checked tension to no avail! Does anyone know if this could be a frame issue? My dh said he would help me to change the upper bar because I never use the rail for batting the frame is set up for king size so will I always have this trouble? This never happens on baby quilts! Please all wise members any ideas. Thank you for reading Jan
Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 AM

i have a different grace frame and a while back i noticed my backing bar was bowed, after inspection i found my screws that hold the lengths together had become loose, once tightened it was nice and straight again, but i don't have a clue why your thread is breaking
Old 05-11-2011, 08:02 AM

I've had problems with a bowed bar too, and also had to replace the velcro that attaches the leader fabric to the rail. Since then, all is OK. Sorry, can't help with your thread breakage.
Old 05-11-2011, 05:23 PM

Bowed bars is a common problem with queen & king size quilts. Some frames even recommend slipping the original poles inside of round, metal conduit to eliminate the bowing. I had to do that for my B-Line Studio frame & it was a common problem on the older Handiquilter frames, too.

Also, your frame might need re-leveled. It may have sagged causing a "hump". Some frames seem to walk around the room and need re-leveled with each use. My B-Line did on a carpeted basement floor but I didn't have the problem until I moved it downstairs and extended it from 10' to 12'.