Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
After birthing a quilt ? >

After birthing a quilt ?

After birthing a quilt ?

Old 01-05-2011, 08:36 PM

Hope your body improves I know what you mean these golden years. As for the corners I take about 3 stitches diagonaly across then continue the next seam, clip the diagonal corner off and when turned a nice pointed corner, old garment trick for collar points. I also love to bind.
Originally Posted by QM
I sew up the opening by hand, pin, and machine quilt, doing the edges last. Depending on the thichness of batting, backing etc., I will have a line of stitching 1/2" to 1" inside the edge. I iron before the birthing and don't feel I need to afterwards.

I have fallen repeatedly due to a really bad ankle (now fused) and have broken my right wrist several times, even with a cane. I am very good at binding, but it gives me pain, so I birth lap quilts or small quilts for children. Tiying quilts also bothers me. I have long since adjusted to living with my damaged body, so I work with its limitations and still make many charity quilts.

Most of my smaller children's quilts are backed with flannel, brushed denim or cord. All of these should have at least 1/2" seam allowances, which I take into account in my seams, both before and after birthing.

I discovered very early on that rounding the corners makes the job easier, so I do that.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:56 PM

Well...Im not exactly a new quilter but I dont know what "birthing" means. This is the first time I have ever heard that term with regards to quilting. Someone want to explain?? Thank you
Old 01-06-2011, 01:04 AM
QM
Power Poster

There are several terms for this. Some call it pillowcase or envelope style. I thin the birthing name comes from Eleanor Burns. Birthing is a simple way to sandwich a small quilt. I have done it with a twin. I did not like the results. I regularly do 50x70" tops this way.

Generally, in making the quilt sandwich, you layer back/batting/top. For birthing, you do batting, backing, right side up then top, right side down. You smooth it as you would for a regular sandwich. Then you pin baste only the edges. You sew around the edges, leaving a gap through which you will turn it right side out. My next step is to play tug of war, at several angles, with the quilt between DH and myself, to flatten my sandwich again. Then you close the opening you left, pin baste and tie or quilt.

Friendly fish.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]154475[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-154470.jpe  
Old 01-06-2011, 05:45 AM
Power Poster

the birthing technique is to save you from having to bind...fold in and press the opening, stitch closed then top stitch all the way around the quilt
Old 01-06-2011, 07:01 AM

When I first started quilting, this was the only way that I finished quilts. I have successfully "birthed everyting from an incubator quilt to a queen sized quilt. I always tried to have the backing just a little larger (1/2" - 1") and eased it in when I pinned it. This was to allow a little space for the batting when I turned it. With the little bit of extra backing easement, I found that the quilt lay much flatter and then I would top stitch all around after stitching the opening shut. I then tied or machine stitched the rest of the quilt. The edges of the quilt aren't quite as long wearing as double fold binding but by the time the edges of these quilts are wearing out, the rest of the quilt is too. This is a great way to finish a utility type or quick quilt. It's not the finish I would use for DD's heirloom wedding quilt.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by suebee
Well...Im not exactly a new quilter but I dont know what "birthing" means. This is the first time I have ever heard that term with regards to quilting. Someone want to explain?? Thank you
Thank you all for the explanation. I understand it now. But why would they choose this term for for this technique? I guess I will go google ... :)
Old 01-06-2011, 01:48 PM

Love your colors, will post pic. when I finish tying mine
Originally Posted by QM
There are several terms for this. Some call it pillowcase or envelope style. I thin the birthing name comes from Eleanor Burns. Birthing is a simple way to sandwich a small quilt. I have done it with a twin. I did not like the results. I regularly do 50x70" tops this way.

Generally, in making the quilt sandwich, you layer back/batting/top. For birthing, you do batting, backing, right side up then top, right side down. You smooth it as you would for a regular sandwich. Then you pin baste only the edges. You sew around the edges, leaving a gap through which you will turn it right side out. My next step is to play tug of war, at several angles, with the quilt between DH and myself, to flatten my sandwich again. Then you close the opening you left, pin baste and tie or quilt.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:13 PM
QM
Power Poster

Shelbie, you are so right.