Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Alaskan Quilt Shop experience >

Alaskan Quilt Shop experience

Alaskan Quilt Shop experience

Old 07-23-2011, 06:25 PM

I LOVED IT!!!

We did a quick trip over to Anchorage this week, picked up the girls their school clothes (stores we don't have here in Whitehorse and a lot cheaper!!!).

I got to visit four, yes four, quilt shops. Yay me!!!

I had a wonderful visit at the Quilted Raven. The owner (forgot her name by now unfortunately) was fun and friendly. Her shop was small and cozy and great for meeting other quilters. I had a lot of fun there and bought a lot of batiks.

Next shop was the Quilt Tree. Holy smokes I have never been in a store so large and full of fabric. Very overwhelming. So many people in there, a little much for this small town girl. I bought my fabric for our Christmas quilt there, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!!! My girls are very excited about that, now I better get working on it or else it will not get done in time. I got enough fabric to make a twin size quilt for cuddling on the couch and also enough to make pillowcases for the girls.

Third stop? The Quilt Zone, discovered that place by accident as it was right near our hotel and I spotted it when we were having dinner at Applebees. I got some great fabric and a pattern to do a quilt by an Alaskan designerjanetmac designs. It looked fantatistic on the wall, it's called Off Kuilter. It just looks haphazard...something I tend to feel like at times.

We left Anchorage, looking forward to the ride home...we made a pit stop in Palmer at the Fred Meyer (seriously this was the best store, I've never even heard of this store before...it has everything!!!) and lo and behold what did I spy as we were leaving? Another quilt shop!!! It was called Just Sew and was another gem. Lots of models on the wall, it was bright and cheery and the staff was friendly. I purchased a pattern of one of the models, and picked up two books to add to my sewing shelves (I forget the names, they are still packed).

My friend had a little laugh over how her car seemed tuned into fabric shops when I was driving. I think her car and I were made for each other.

The trip to Anchorage was so worthwhile, the girls got their school clothes and I have enough fabric to last the winter (hee hee), oh yeah, the scenery was great too LOL.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:27 PM

Sounds like a great trip!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:36 PM
Power Poster

What a fabulous trip
Old 07-23-2011, 06:43 PM

oh boy it sounds like you had a great time. It nice when you find those little extras on a trip!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 PM

FYI when we went to Alaska to do a two week cruise we stayed at the University at Ancorage. There were 4 adults and it was a lot cheaper than a hotel/motel...Just saying...
Old 07-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Good for you!!! Enjoy your purchases!!
Old 07-23-2011, 06:49 PM

What great fun!! When we went to Alaska on a cruise tour DH thought I planned the stops to visit quilt shops -- you are lucky you were driving :).
Old 07-23-2011, 07:07 PM

I have a cousin that lives in Palmer Alaska only seen a few times in our life time he was born there and still there his mom and my dad were brother and sister
Old 07-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Google Goddess

Wow, what a fun trip you had, did you take any pictures?
Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 PM

We went to Whitehorse once, but it was the dead of winter, and boy was it ccccccold!

Oregon has Fred Meyer's all over the place. Yes, they have a lot, that's why their motto is "One stop shopping" No fabric, tho - although they did have some years and years ago.