Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: All Minky....need opinions on the actual quilting.....

All Minky....need opinions on the actual quilting.....

I got a "little" carried away and decided to make my youngest sons girlfriend a quilt using only Minky front and back, and since it's for her bed I made it 95" x 95", I love how soft and fluffy Minky is and don't want to loose the softness with too much quilting.
    Question 1) being such a big heavy quilt won't it need a fair amount of quilting to hold it together?
    2) any design recommendations?

I had planned to quilt meandering swirls but now I'm not sure.
    I hope I post the pics correctly, if so then the first is the top and gray with hearts is the backing.

Thanks for your suggestions
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I would just stitch in the ditch

that's a beautiful quilt. i love all the textures too. that said, i never use the textured minky for backing. it looks & feels wonderful, but the delightfulness of the textured pattern is destroyed w quilting, of any kind. i've made several minky quilts. minky pieced front, minky back. i prefer either the flatter floral printed or the swirly looking minkey for the back because the quilting then blends in like it does on floral cotton print. the swirly type are also so yummy to look at. i took a couple of quilts in to do the binding at sew group one year. other group members were snuggling with them. one member was hugging & nuzzeling one of the quilts ..she said she just wanted to wrap up in it's soft swirlyness. the thickness & the randomness of the texture completely hid the quilting. minky quilts are heavy, but using shorter stitch they hold up eell to laundering w/o excessive quilting. i agree with nabobw, stitch in the ditch should suffice. did you use seam allowances wider than 1/4"? that could be a durability factor also. i use 5/8" on both flannel & minky. wow, your quilt is so beautiful. striking pattern & the textures of the minky ..the girlfriend will treasure this quilt forever!
    the rogue quilter - in from wandering in the sun and snow with camera in hand.

That is just beautiful! I have never quilted on minky, but I know it is difficult. My sister is just made a baby quilt out of minky and was distressed at how the fabric stretched. I know she changed her original quilting pattern idea for something simple. I wish I could remember what she did.

But there will be others here who will have real suggestions. Is there a way you could sort of practice on scraps? I think my sister said that would have helped her, and she teaches quilt workshops and is very experienced in the art of quilting. Who knows, she may even catch this thread and offer her good advice.

Dina

I've never made one with minky on the front and back, but often use it for backing on chemo quilts. Usually end up doing swirls and a few feathers. Your quilt is just lovely.

"Making a Quilt and not showing it is like writing a song and not singing it..."

Blog Entries
    I've made many Minky quilts, I have not found it difficult to quilt. Swirls, and meandering will work fine on this. Big, open designs. ( it does depend on batting choice- are you planning to use batting? I always do because it gives the slippery Minky something to hold on to. I use a lightweight batting that allows 6" between quilting lines.
    If you use a cotton batting that needs quilted 2"-4" you will of course need more quilting to keep it together. If you are not planning to use batting I would probably try spray basting or a lightweight fusible web to hold the layers together for quilting.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I had thought of stitch in the ditch but then it would take away from the hearts on the back with just a straight line, which is why I'm leaning towards a loose meander, I seriously should have gone auth a fluffier backing with no design then what ever I quilted on the front would disappear on the back, but......I didn't so here I am...
    I think I will definitely have to do a practice stitch on some scraps first.
    I am planning on using batting, I usually use warm and natural since it's thin, but being that it's already such a "HEAVY" quilt, can anyone suggest a thinner brand or kind of batting that's thinner and lighter???
    Last edited by trif; 03-19-2017 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trif View Post
    Thanks, I thought of stitch in the ditch but then it would take away from the hearts on the back with just a straight line, I seriously should have gone auth a fluffier backing with no design then what ever I quilted on the front would disappear on the back, but......I didn't so here I am...
    couldn't you just buy a different backing? sewing with & quilting with minky, is challenging, but i'm a challenge junkey i'm told, so ..there may be more minky fantastics in your future. buy another backing?
    ..and i agree ..some swirls inside the solid bars, plus stitch in the ditch would work great too. i just love the textures of the minky used in the top ..ergo, my personal preference for stitch in the ditch. this quilt has such incredible graphic appeal with all that texture. i use thin poly blend batting.
    Last edited by roguequilter; 03-19-2017 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    I've made many Minky quilts, I have not found it difficult to quilt. Swirls, and meandering will work fine on this. Big, open designs. ( it does depend on batting choice- are you planning to use batting? I always do because it gives the slippery Minky something to hold on to. I use a lightweight batting that allows 6" between quilting lines.
    If you use a cotton batting that needs quilted 2"-4" you will of course need more quilting to keep it together. If you are not planning to use batting I would probably try spray basting or a lightweight fusible web to hold the layers together for quilting.
    Do you know of a brand of batting that's less dense than warm & natural, a lighter batting with this beast is a must! It's already so heavy, it's going to knock over my quilt frame.

Quote Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
    couldn't you just buy a different backing? sewing with & quilting with minky is challenging, but i'm a challenge junkey i'm told, so ..there may be more minky fantastics in your future. buy another backing?
    I thought of that but really really love the hearts on the back. I will have to work with it to keep the fabric I love

I thought of that but really really love the hearts on the back. I will have to work with it to keep the fabric I love
    how about basting stitch in ditch from front ..turn over and do meandering around the hearts within the areas of outlined shapes of front design. it's not that difficult to remove basting stitches from minky. been there done that. as mentioned before ..challenge junky

i love the heart fabric too. i would use it on front of another quilt. found a fabulous daisy print few years ago. sculptured like your hearts. perfect in little totes for grands.

Blog Entries
    SITD sounds like a great idea. i love the backing with the hearts
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by roguequilter View Post
    how about basting stitch in ditch from front ..turn over and do meandering around the hearts within the areas of outlined shapes of front design. it's not that difficult to remove basting stitches from minky. been there done that. as mentioned before ..challenge junky
    Good idea!! I hadn't thought about quilting the back to the front! I think the stitches would disappear on the front since that's the rose minky(fluffier) and I could maintain the look I want on the back.

Good idea!! I hadn't thought about quilting the back to the front! I think the stitches would disappear on the front since that's the rose minky(fluffier) and I could maintain the look I want on the back.
    quilting from the back is always a neat way to do. but i do hope you can maintain the integrety of the stark geometric of this quilt pattern. it's gorgeous. is this your pattern or a commercial one. i really do love it!

one last thought ...i started spray basting my flannel & minky quilts several years ago. was amazed at how stable all was. both minky & flannel stretch quite a bit & regardless of how densely i basted. i got tucks & creases in the back. especially at seam intersections. first attempt w spray basting i was amazed ..& i only spray baste these types of quilts now. i don't know if you have a long arm or use a domestic, i use a domestic ..janome 1600 ..even the weight & size of medium large minky quilt works on my machine. i have a friend that puts minky on backs of most the quilts she makes for friends or her grands. has long arm ..says using long arm on minky is difficult because of stretching. so ..if you long arm, perhaps you could get some input from longarmers here on the board who have experince w minky quilts & have tips/tricks to help you. may need to start a new discussion thread for this subject.
    ..looking forward to seeing pics of this quilt finished!!!

I have used minky for backing quilts several times and have had very good luck with it. I find that the quilting kind of disappears into the minky. I think when you do your practice piece you will be able to decide on the quilting you want to use. I don't think it will need anything elaborate since the texture of the quilt will be wonderful. I normally use Quilters Dream batting. They have a thin version called Request, I think. Check their website for particulars. You have made an awesome quilt and I'm sure the girlfriend will love it! BTW, I do my quilting on my DSM. It sounds like you may have a long arm and so your experience may be different than mine. I hope not!

I have only used minky for pillow backs, so really can't say. I would keep it simple and practice on some scraps first.

How about turning the quilt over, and stitching inside the grey hearts?

Blog Entries
    Beautiful quilt , I use minky on back of quilts , Good luck it will be gorgeous what every you do..

Blog Entries
    Because of it being a little heavy why not substitute flannel for the batting then you can quilt farther apart.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Beautiful top! I love the Minky fabrics you chose. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by judykay View Post
    Because of it being a little heavy why not substitute flannel for the batting then you can quilt farther apart.
    My thoughts too. I made a king sized tee shirt quilt with Minky backing, Hobbs 80/20 batting and it weighs a TON. I wish I had left out the batting or used flannel instead.

For batting I would do either Quilter's Dream Request or flannel. You might check Back Side Fabrics & see if they have a wide back in flannel.

Thanks for all the great advice, I will keep you posted on the progress, today I'm rolling it onto my grace frame, hopefully it doesn't fall over on me with the weight! Hahaha

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast