Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
All-over free motion quilting >

All-over free motion quilting

All-over free motion quilting

Old 02-08-2014, 01:01 PM

Default All-over free motion quilting

I want to try all-over, continuous line, free motion quilting on a quilt that is about 66 x 78". I have found several designs - that is not the problem. My biggest concern is how to organize the area that I am going to work on. For example, do I divide it into smaller sections and if so, where do I start? Do I start in the middle and work out? Do I go from top to bottom? I really have no idea so any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

I always start FMQ in the middle and work out to avoid puckers. Some people like to work in lines and I think there is a tutorial on QB. I like the kind of do a square section and then move to the next. If you start on a large meander, get the size of an object in your mind to help keep it consistent across the quilt. I like to think of golf balls for a large meander.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:24 PM
RST

I like to work with rough quadrants, not necessarily exactly even division, as I think that starting your quilting in the very center is sometimes a mistake-- the center tends to be highly visible, and sometimes my very first efforts are not the ones I want showcased. I usually will work from somewhere just off center outward.

RST
Old 02-08-2014, 02:40 PM

I usually start in the middle and then do block to block down. Makes it easy to change threads if needed and tie it off on the end of the borders.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:48 PM

I start in the middle in a "hidden spot" where the thread disappears in the pattern, my first is always a loop that ties back onto itself. No broken lines. I suggest doing a few placemats first to get the hang of it. I find that I go to the same size meanders everytime. I think it has to do with the amount of space on my domestic machine. I also think, puzzle pieces if it gets too consistent, I do a flower like design to change up the pattern. I work from the middle to the side, then to a corner then the next corner and back. If you sew yourself into a corner just run it off the end and start again somewhere else. No straight lines.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:45 AM

I tend to start in the middle and mentally divide the quilt into four quadrants. Work the first quadrant and then move to the next one. I find that doing this helps prevent having to have a large section of the quilt in the harp of the machine.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:30 PM

I use spray basting and I think that it is easier to FMQ since the sandwich does not seem to move or pucker if you have layed it down correctly. I start at one of the upper corners and do meandering or stippling down and across -the across being about 1/4-1/3 of the quilt. I will go into the next section ocassionally so as to to have a line where the FMQ in one section ends. When I reach the bottom then I start up the next section to the top and then down again. I will turn the top when I am doing the side sections so the bulk of the top is to the left side. When I do the center the bulk of the top has to be to the right when make FMQ harder. If you spray baste the sandwich will not shift so it is not important to start in the middle. Also the sandwich is lighter and easier to move than when you are using pins. Sometimes I will do SID in the center both up and down just to anchor the sandwich
Old 02-12-2014, 07:29 PM

I spray baste and I like to start in the upper right corner. I usually will quilt over to about the middle and down. A lot of times it is sort of diagonal, I don't want it to look like I quilted a line down the quilt. Once I get to the bottom I turn just one turn and quilt down to the bottom again, then at that bottom I turn and quilt down to the bottom again making sure that I get all the way over to the "center" and fill in what has not been quilted.
I have done many quilts this way including the one last week which was about 100 x 111

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!
Old 02-13-2014, 06:57 AM

I use homemade flour based spray, Elmer Washable School Glue or 505 spray to baste my quilts - there is not shifting going on then. I start in the bottom right hand corner and work my way to the left about a 9 inch swath, I continue doing this until I reach the center. I have done 120 x 120 quilts on my domestic and now my Baby lock Jane machines.
I got lost when ever I tried to start FMQ in the middle. I have taught my quilting g/f this method also and it certainly helped her with her FMQ.. Best of luck!
Old 02-17-2014, 10:37 AM

I start right in the middle and move out in all directions. I'm always afraid I haven't basted well enough and will end up with tucks in the back.