Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Of all the quilts you've made..... >

Of all the quilts you've made.....

Of all the quilts you've made.....

Old 01-17-2014, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by HillCountryGal View Post
Love that you "saved" the quilt. Turned out really nice!

You asked about quilts we're the most proud of...

This is one I made up.. it's a wall hanging. And my first attempt at handquilting.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456804[/ATTACH]

My first whole cloth quilt. Hand quilted (took me a year).
First attempt with Prairie Points too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]456805[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456806[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]456807[/ATTACH]
I love how the colors in the design were repeated in the prarie points
Old 01-17-2014, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Kathy T. View Post
I made this memory quilt for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary. I am proud of it because I had intended to take a class on the technique the November before their anniversary and the class was cancelled. I didn't start making it until January and finished it for their Feb 5th party. Some of the books have embroidered titles that had meaning for my parents. The top row are both sets of my grandparents (the left is at their 50th anniversary), the next row is my parents, then the next row is their two kids (me and my brother) at their weddings and the bottom row is the three grandchildren at the time. The one has a special photo because he was at West Point at the time. Both my parents have passed now and I have the quilt.
Absolutely fantastic! Don't know that I've ever seen a more personally meaningful quilt in my life.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:13 AM

I hand stitched all the squares. Then when I came to quilting I went and quilted over my hand stitching with a fancy stitch from the machine. It was along job but I was incapacitated and could only do hand sewing at the time.
It is a favourite with my dogs if they can get on it.
Old 01-17-2014, 05:23 AM

This is a quilt I designed and made for Sydney, my neighbors daughter. I made her and her twin brother quilts for their "big kid beds" when they turned five. It is one of the first quilts I completed on my long arm machine. Hidden in the quilting are messages and words that are significant to Sydney. For example her mother called her "kidney bean" when she was very little and my husband calls her cupcake, so those are in there. She has lots of fun showing people where the secret messages are.
Attached Thumbnails sydneys-quilt.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 06:37 AM

This one is my favorite[ATTACH=CONFIG]457025[/ATTACH]or this one, I can't decide[ATTACH=CONFIG]457026[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]457027[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsci0099.jpg   red-quilt2.jpg   red-quilt.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Stitch124 View Post
Ohh that bookshelf quilt is so special! I love that you used pic of the family on the shelves!!! How special it is to you. A real family heirloom...

The sewalong quilt is beautiful. I love the colors and it really gives meaning when you know others contributed.

I love the flowers quilt and the colors in the sofa quilt are so pretty!

The crazy diamond quilt is so colorful! I love it!

I cross-stitched 24 separate flowers and a quilting friend sewed all the blocks into a wall-hanging. This was before I learned how to quilt. It took the longest to make because of the cross-stitching, and it's one of my favorites, but I can't take complete credit for it since I didn't sew it together. I chose the fabric to coordinate with the flowers and designed the layout, she pieced the blocks, sewed it all together using SITD and bound it. I paid her $100.00 and I think she was very happy with it. This isn't the best pic, but you get the idea. I can take a better pic if anyone wants to see a close up.
Please post a closer picture?
Old 01-17-2014, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
When I first saw the Turning 20 pattern, I found acolleciton of fat quarters (10 I think) in bright fake batiks. So I made it for a personal sized quilt. It was indeed bright, cute, but bright. I shoved it into a box and kept trying to think who needed the quilt.

Well, a couple at church have a granddaughter who's had a world of trouble with epilepsy, and some other problems. I've been making things for "L" for a good while. I've knitted her scarves for Christmas for several years. A couple years ago, it finally came to me that "L" was the perfect fit for my bright Turning 10! I gave it to her a couple years ago. She's an adult now, but still living with her parents because of her many problems. They came in to visit Grandma for Christmas, Grandpa having died early last spring. I sat behind them at Christmas Mass last month. I'd not made anything for her for a while, but I happened to be wearing a fleece scarf that I passed on to her. She loved it.

Anyway, her mom and dad told me she sleeps with the bright blanket every night, even in the summer. Well, that just brought tears to my eyes.

The quilt is just a personal sized one.. On the bigger grid, it doesn't amount to a hill of beans. Simple quilt, simple fabrics. But it's probably my most prized quilt knowing the happiness it brought to a kiddo with health issues none of us want.
And that is all that matters!! Great job!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Kris P View Post
Right now this is the quilt I'm most proud of. It's for my DD#2. She's 10. Ever since she was old enough to make her thoughts known, her favorite color has been this turquoise blue color. I'd been looking for just the right pattern and colors to make her a bed quilt. Her sister was much easier, she likes pink, and yellow.
I had just finished making this same pattern, Knotted Squares using a jelly roll, and she said she really liked the pattern. So we set about pulling one together for her. The turquoise solid is exactly the color her bedroom walls are painted. I found the border fabric, which has blue with pink and yellow roses. These were the inspiration for finding the other 35 fabrics to make to blocks. I needed 1 jelly roll strip of each. It took for many hours or sorting through my meager stash, and several trips to the fabric store to find all the fabrics.
Each block has 27 pieces and matching the seams is really important to me, so I'd sit for hours pinning each segment together before chain piecing the pile. Then stand for what seemed like forever to press each seam (open) before beginning the process all over pinning for the next piece.
Once the quilt top was made, I spent a few days auditioning how I would fmq. I settled on SID around all the solid piecing, vines and leaves in the narrow parts, and doing a big chrysanthemum type flower to fill in the larger blocks.
I also wanted to incorporate the label into the binding, so I stitched out the information and her favorite Bible verso onto the binding with my Janome 6600 before attaching it.
Anyway, i hope the link works, as I've never tried to add a photo.

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/535083999448174732/
I have this pattern on my bucket list. I'm glad to see yours. Is this from the book Modern Basics by Amy Ellis. That's where I found the pattern..I also found the quilt hanging in a quilt shop in Southern Illinois. I think it might be my next quilt after seeing yours. Yours is lovely.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:49 AM

I will post a pic this evening of my floral counted cross-stitch wall hanging...close up pics. Thanks for asking. I am very happy with it especially because I love flowers, cross-stitching and quilting.
Old 01-17-2014, 07:51 AM

I made a special quilt for my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary that is my proudest work. The pattern was the Golden Wedding quilt. Over 3000 pcs in it. The 'Golden' is 6 sided, unlike the 4 sided regular wedding quilt. I have it now. I should get it out and use as a spread. My mom used it as a spread but it
was in a corner bedroom with multiple windows on both sides, and it faded somewhat.

Last edited by GrammieJan; 01-17-2014 at 07:56 AM.