Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For all you hand sewers out there... >

For all you hand sewers out there...

For all you hand sewers out there...

Old 09-12-2013, 11:29 AM

My hand sewing projects are small hexie flowers for a grandmothers garden quilt, an English pieced star burst that begins with a 3 1/2" hexie and various parts of the 3" hexie and applique basket blocks. I keep each project in individual Sterilite boxes that are approximately shirt box size. The lid is a nice flat surface to work on when the box sits on my lap, secures with green clasps that snap over the lid. The boxes are large enough to hold not only the completed pieces but a nice supply of fabric to work with. Of course I have to grab my small scissors and bottom line thread when I work from one box to another but my method seems to work. I am acquiring quite a stock of the boxes because I have so many projects in the works. Another nice feature - you can the see the contents through the opaque boxes so you don't have to open them up when looking for something.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM

I made a zippered bag with rows of elastic sections, to hold pincushions needles, etc., pockets along the bottom to carry pens, pencils, my rotary cutters, etc. - there is a zippered pocket on the front for my wallet and a small box can be put in there, and three pockets on the back of the bag for books, zippered plastic pouch to hold my project pieces - I take this to classes, and into other rooms where I can work and have all my things close at hand....see the pictures[ATTACH=CONFIG]435606[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]435607[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]435608[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]435609[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]435610[/ATTACH] First picture shows inside sections and bottom pockets, pic 2 - small box in zippered pouch on front of sewing bag, pic 3 - extra thread, needle threader and scrap bag, pic 4 - is plastic pouch with project in 2nd pocket, and pic 5 - my sewing machine book in the third pocket . The bag measures 14 x 17 inches, all the heavier things on the right side of inside, and lighter things on the left inside of bag, the front and back pockets were sewn and attached, after the inside was completed with elastic stitched down, and pockets stitched, then front and back were stitched together, 42" zipper sewn around the inside of the bag, and finally the binding attached. This is the third one I made and with each one, something new added. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails tn_p1000703.jpg   tn_p1000704.jpg   tn_p1000705.jpg   tn_p1000706.jpg   tn_p1000707.jpg  

Old 09-12-2013, 01:01 PM

I used a tackle box for years. Loved it.
Old 09-13-2013, 03:51 AM

I use a small snapware box. I do english paper piecing, so my kit also includes template plastics, paper clips and precut pieces of fabrics. When I keep my suipplies in one box and extra fabrics in another that just snaps to the bottom. When I'm home, it sits by my recliner, but I can easily take it on the road with me. (I also stitch in the car on long trips.)
Old 09-13-2013, 04:34 AM

I am surprised no one has done what I did for this! I went shopping for a small purse with as many zippered compartments as I could find. The one I bought is divided into major sections by three outside over-the-top zippers, with another zippered inside compartment in one of them, plus a couple of pockets. There are also pockets on the outside front and back. I keep it constantly packed and it's ready to grab at a moment's notice for hand sewing on the go: applique or hand piecing in the car, in a doctor's reception room, etc.---there's always an ongoing project in there. It's also where I keep my Roxanne's and other marking pencils, all my hand needles, a couple of small sharp pointed scissors, applique pins, magnifying glasses, hemostat for pulling through a tight needle, some basic thread colors, and my Clover spring-loaded push button needle threader. With all those compartments, I know right where everything is when I need it.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:57 AM

I use ice cream tubs, you can decorate them yourself, or just write on them and they have a handle and a lid. Plus you get to eat the ice cream first !!!
Old 09-13-2013, 04:59 AM

Our daughter bought me a small Blue with handles on it carrying box. Don't know where she got it, but I saw more like it at Wall Drug in Rapid City, S. D.. It holds a lot more than you would think. Maybe look in some small stores that carry everything, if you can find the small stores!Mariah
Old 09-13-2013, 05:10 AM

I've made tote bags of various sizes that work for different projects. I also have a small glass bowl I picked up at the thrift shop because it was pretty that is on the little table by my rocking chair that collects the spool of thread, extra needles, etc. when I'm finishing binding or whatever and has my stash of little clips I use to hold the binding in place until I get it stitched.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:37 AM
IQ2

I use the plastic containers that berries come in. They are clear so you can see what's in them and have an attached snap-closed lid. I also use them for storing my 2" scrap squares and 3" strips.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:32 AM

I found a gently used fabric-covered box with a handle at a yard sale, for $2. It's plenty big for all the smaller supplies. It's what I use to carry my stuff in when I take classes or sew somewhere other than home.