Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Almost quilt related - marking tool for hand embroidery >

Almost quilt related - marking tool for hand embroidery

Almost quilt related - marking tool for hand embroidery

Old 04-14-2022, 05:10 AM

Be very careful of how you tear away the stabilizer since this puts stress on the stitching and therefore the fabric. I think that a washaway would be preferable for that reason. I frequently use Ricky Tim's Stable Stuff - it's washaway OR tearaway - you can use it either way. When washed, the stabilizer dissolves. I've never done hand work with it so not sure how easy it is to work with in that way.
Old 04-14-2022, 06:16 AM

Pellon has a wash-be-gone stablizer, if you are going to use and write on it, I believe I would go with. However, I have never used it for embroidered hand work, just machine embroidery. I wouldn't want to use a tear-a-way to perhaps distort the stitching, when tugging it away. Wash- be-gone dissolves in water but you have to be sure you've rinsed it all out or otherwise it dries stiff where it remains. Just keep running under cold water, if you decide to go this way. I would love to see the gown when completed. I made a gown for my daughter's friend's first baby. All her children eventually wore it. I was beaming, when the priest at the christening, asked if the gown was an heirloom passed down. Imagine my joy when my daughter overheard and told me!