Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 78

Thread: alot of talk about labels- and wanting to sell your quilts-be informed

  1. #1
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,192
    Blog Entries
    1
    there has been alot of topics this summer about quilters wanting to sell their quilts-
    and do i label my quilt?

    well= there are laws that say---if you are going to sell ANY HAND CRAFTED TEXTILE ITEM it must contain a label- and their are certain things that must be included on that label--

    US Labeling Laws You Need to Know About When Selling Your Handcrafted Apparel Items

    You've probably noticed labels on clothing you have purchased but may not have realized that an individual crafter is required by US government regulations to attach the same types of labels to handmade apparel items made by the crafter (which are for sale), the same as any large clothing manufacturer is required to do.

    you need to visit the United States FTC (fair trade commission) and read the requirements- always protect yourself- their are fees- (reprocussions) for not following the rules---you might think well- no one will never really know---but you never know---and is it worth getting fined for??? it is a simple matter to attach a label to your crafts---
    the label HAS TO INCLUDE FIBER CONTENT: if you use poly batting and cotton top/bottom the label needs to say so
    it also HAS TO INCLUDE CARE INSTRUCTIONS...
    these are required by law on any textile item made and sold in the U.S. (other contries have other laws-if you are outside the U.S. you should check on your requirements---they are world wide) they also apply to knitted/crocheted items---any textile item made and sold.
    so if you are trying to make a little money- protect yourself- check the rules- it does not cost anything to put a label on your item- it may cost you ALOT to skip that set.

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Here not there
    Posts
    1,447
    Blog Entries
    2
    I sold some quilts a couple of years ago in a craft show and labled them, so the buyer would be informed. I didn't know I was complying with the law. Thanks

  3. #3
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,910
    great, now the feds are coming after Grandma for selling her handmade mittens....lol..

  4. #4
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    great, now the feds are coming after Grandma for selling her handmade mittens....lol..
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

    But thanks for the info. I didn't know about it.

  5. #5
    Super Member leatheflea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    martinsville Indiana
    Posts
    4,454
    Yep I thought I seen a Fed at the last craft show I went to! Very strange this lady was. She was trying to blend in, but can you really blend when you show up in a vintage pink Buick wearing a pink suit? Very suspicious to say the least. I dont know but she might have been looking for illegal aliens also.

  6. #6
    Junior Member Sandy-lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tasmania Australia
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Yep I thought I seen a Fed at the last craft show I went to! Very strange this lady was. She was trying to blend in, but can you really blend when you show up in a vintage pink Buick wearing a pink suit? Very suspicious to say the least. I dont know but she might have been looking for illegal aliens also.
    she may have been a Mary Kay makeup consultant lol

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,608
    Learn something new everyday!!

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,960
    Blog Entries
    2
    Thanks for the info. It comes at the right time as I am getting ready to put some of my items for sale at a retail location.

    Also sometimes those Feds or other licensed product reps are at shows to see if licensed products are being sold without the proper license. Such as Harley Davidson, Honda, and such. If you don't have the license to sell their products or anything with their logo/label on it, you will be fined and they can take ALL of your product and shut you down!

    Something to keep in mind when using some fabrics in your items. Even some fabrics are labeled 'Not for resale", "for personal use only".

    QUiltingGrannie

  9. #9
    Senior Member Suzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    762
    Blog Entries
    3
    Just another example of Big Brother watching you. I'm sorry - this just ticks me off as it seems the government (most of who are idiots) is overly concerned with this small stuff as opposed to actually running the country. Ridiculous! Just sayin' .............

  10. #10
    Super Member snipforfun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,971
    Blog Entries
    8
    The labeling applies to clothing and "certain piece goods" which is a ver ambiguous term. Much of the content of the regulations have been changed also and several modifications are being considered right now. When you see "official" looking people at quilt shows, fairs etc. they are checking for licensing and or tax id numbers to make sure sales tax is being collected. This took place at our quilt show this Spring. i dont think quilters have anything to worry about. The FTC is really more focused on large manufacturers than us.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Enid, OK
    Posts
    8,923
    Blog Entries
    1
    besides making sure you are not using Licensed fabric, or a copyrighted pattern, you need to read up on the CPSIA guidelines!

    It is NOT about big brother watching you to bust the little guy...it is about oh let us say LEAD content, flammable materials, etc..

    when you the consumer buy bedding/clothing etc, do you NOT read the labels to make sure you are not buying something you know is dangerous to your health? Labeling your art/craft items is no different!

    http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/smbus/cpsiasbguide.pdf

  12. #12
    Super Member ube quilting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    9,654
    Blog Entries
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by lindasidlow
    The labeling applies to clothing and "certain piece goods" which is a ver ambiguous term. Much of the content of the regulations have been changed also and several modifications are being considered right now. When you see "official" looking people at quilt shows, fairs etc. they are checking for licensing and or tax id numbers to make sure sales tax is being collected. This took place at our quilt show this Spring. i dont think quilters have anything to worry about. The FTC is really more focused on large manufacturers than us.
    Here Here! I would like to hear from just one person in the whole world that sold a quilt or mittens that was caught and fined by the labeling police. We have become a paranoid people. We scare ourselves into a frinzy and blame the government for our own fears.

    I say if you If you want those mittens and are scared of not knowing the material content, don't buy them. Plain and simple.

    And yes there are very important reasons for labeling. most of all the regulations put forth by our government are to protect us from dangerous ingredients and even with it we are not 100% safe. Consider that manufacturers used to use formaldihide as a preservative in fabric and we never knew.

    JACIQ' has the right idea

  13. #13
    Super Member ptquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    5,910
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Yep I thought I seen a Fed at the last craft show I went to! Very strange this lady was. She was trying to blend in, but can you really blend when you show up in a vintage pink Buick wearing a pink suit? Very suspicious to say the least. I dont know but she might have been looking for illegal aliens also.
    wow, first there was "Men in Black", now "Ladies in Pink"!! :roll:

  14. #14
    Super Member frarose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    St Louis, MO
    Posts
    1,005
    TO Mary Kaye leaders have pink cars and wear pink suits. I doubt an investigator would be so obvious :)

  15. #15
    Senior Member SharBear's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    472
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy-lou
    Quote Originally Posted by leatheflea
    Yep I thought I seen a Fed at the last craft show I went to! Very strange this lady was. She was trying to blend in, but can you really blend when you show up in a vintage pink Buick wearing a pink suit? Very suspicious to say the least. I dont know but she might have been looking for illegal aliens also.
    she may have been a Mary Kay makeup consultant lol
    My first thought was - not a FED - MARY KAY!

  16. #16
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Newberg, OR
    Posts
    1,942
    There are lots of laws on the books that are not enforced. This isn't something that's going to get my panties in a wad or cause me to change my ways.

  17. #17
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    There are lots of laws on the books that are not enforced. This isn't something that's going to get my panties in a wad or cause me to change my ways.

    Ditto. They'll have to take me to quilters jail then. Though, I've not heard of one quilter that was sent to the pokey due to not labeling fiber content.

  18. #18
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,192
    Blog Entries
    1
    the rules about textile labeling is really nothing new- no reason to become indignant about it- the laws were put in place decades ago- to protect us from purchasing things that may be harmful---
    and some people have serious allergies to different fibers- would you not feel horrible if you made a quilt and used something in it- did not identify it- and someone died because of that allergy???
    i would be devestated!
    these laws are world wide (although some countries are alot stricter than the u.s. about it)
    if you visit the About.quilting site and search for labeling your crafts link you can read all you need to know- but it is not a new (big brother) being nosy issue===it is world wide safety measures...

  19. #19
    Super Member JUNEC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Clearwater, FL
    Posts
    3,201
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    there has been alot of topics this summer about quilters wanting to sell their quilts-
    and do i label my quilt?

    well= there are laws that say---if you are going to sell ANY HAND CRAFTED TEXTILE ITEM it must contain a label- and their are certain things that must be included on that label--

    US Labeling Laws You Need to Know About When Selling Your Handcrafted Apparel Items

    You've probably noticed labels on clothing you have purchased but may not have realized that an individual crafter is required by US government regulations to attach the same types of labels to handmade apparel items made by the crafter (which are for sale), the same as any large clothing manufacturer is required to do.

    you need to visit the United States FTC (fair trade commission) and read the requirements- always protect yourself- their are fees- (reprocussions) for not following the rules---you might think well- no one will never really know---but you never know---and is it worth getting fined for??? it is a simple matter to attach a label to your crafts---
    the label HAS TO INCLUDE FIBER CONTENT: if you use poly batting and cotton top/bottom the label needs to say so
    it also HAS TO INCLUDE CARE INSTRUCTIONS...
    these are required by law on any textile item made and sold in the U.S. (other contries have other laws-if you are outside the U.S. you should check on your requirements---they are world wide) they also apply to knitted/crocheted items---any textile item made and sold.
    so if you are trying to make a little money- protect yourself- check the rules- it does not cost anything to put a label on your item- it may cost you ALOT to skip that set.
    I am assuming that the fiber content would help people with allergies - I thought that quilt labels only had to name & date completed

  20. #20
    Power Poster BellaBoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Front row
    Posts
    14,661
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    and some people have serious allergies to different fibers- would you not feel horrible if you made a quilt and used something in it- did not identify it- and someone died because of that allergy???
    I would think the person with life threatening allergy would not be around places that would have the items that would cause their death much less buy one, label or no label. That is just common sense. Same with the labeling. Use common sense. How many handmade cloth items are made with dangerous fibers anyway?

  21. #21
    Super Member Charlee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW (I wish it was the Ozarks!)
    Posts
    6,509
    Blog Entries
    6
    Heh! It's been happening for YEARS at craft fairs....this not labeling things.

    People with allergies are gonna ask before they buy something that's not labeled...it's a way of life for us.

    I figure that if they want to fine me for not labeling, then so be it. Register to sell on that website and pay their fees, and you might as well hold a beacon over your head and ask for trouble.

  22. #22
    Super Member carrieg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    S.W. Michigan
    Posts
    1,206
    I think flamability may be a reason along with fiber content for labeling. A lot of the fabric for sale actually states on the bolt 'not to be used for children's sleepwear'.

  23. #23
    Power Poster ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    11,192
    Blog Entries
    1
    wow- i am really sorry i bothered to let any of you know --- even though this has been around for decades- protecting us from (bad stuff) mostly from other countries---and has nothing to do with 'big-brother watching' or the quilt police- it is simply a safety issue i thought people wanting to break into the (retail sale) of their crafts should know about-
    everyone always takes their chances---
    with safety issues, copy right issues, all kinds of stuff---
    just trying to pass on information to those who care about doing things ethically (and legally)

  24. #24
    Community Manager PatriceJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,168
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    wow- i am really sorry i bothered to let any of you know ---
    never apologize for trying to do the right thing or for trying to help others.

    personally, i am grateful for the reminder.

  25. #25
    Senior Member quilt-fanatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    near Norman OK
    Posts
    596
    I prefer to think the labeling applies to items that can be 'mass produced'. IMHO Quilts do not apply.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.