Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Altos quiltpro or Truecut

  1. #1
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    13,232
    Hi, I have done a search on Quiltpro and Truecut and everyone likes them or doesn't. What I want to know which one is better. I look at the quiltpro and think its great, but then I look at the truecut and because I am more familar with that way of cutting I think that may be the way to go. Any opinions, please.

  2. #2
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Are you talking about a Alto's Quilt cut? I have it and I love it. Haven't had any experience with the Truecut, Guess I can't help any huh?

  3. #3
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    13,232
    Thanks for the reply. At least your telling me that you like the Altos better. Are you making straighter cuts I guess is the question?

  4. #4
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by SueDor
    Thanks for the reply. At least your telling me that you like the Altos better. Are you making straighter cuts I guess is the question?
    Yes, I don't waste any fabric any more as I can cut Easier with the fabric locked in. I have arthritis in both hands and was letting the ruler slip whille cutting, as I don't have enough strength to hold the ruler steady. I was getting a lot of uneven strips.. NO MORE!!!

  5. #5
    Super Member wolph33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wi
    Posts
    9,994
    I have the Alto's and love it

  6. #6
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by wolph33
    I have the Alto's and love it
    I should sell these, I love mine so well that most of my quilter friends have purchased them also... They too are really pleased with the way they work..

  7. #7
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,341
    I watched a vender use the Alto quiltpro and it was pretty amazing and did not waste fabric! I don't own it but loved the demo.

  8. #8
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,637
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't have the $$ or room for the Alto so I'm going to buy the Truecut. My main problem is keeping my cutter butted up to my ruler so I don't think the Alto helps with that anyway.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Moon Holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Connecticut River, northern NH
    Posts
    921
    I also have the Altos Quilt Cut 2 and love it.

  10. #10
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Holiday
    I also have the Altos Quilt Cut 2 and love it.
    Wouldn't trade mine for anything. With my weak hands and wrists I wouldn't be able to cut anything.

  11. #11
    Senior Member ORSunshineQuilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    308
    I saw the demo of the Alto's Cut 2 and had to have one. I absolutely love it. I find it doesn't take up any more space than a cutting mat and I keep it up at all times on microwave table I bought for $20 at a thrift store. It is wonderful for keeping my cuts straight and more accurate. It was well worth what I paid for it. I highly recommend it.

  12. #12
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,637
    Blog Entries
    1
    I don't have room for cutting mats either. I take my mat to the kitchen floor to cut. I hang my mats on the wall so they don't take up any room when I'm not using them.

  13. #13
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I don't have room for cutting mats either. I take my mat to the kitchen floor to cut. I hang my mats on the wall so they don't take up any room when I'm not using them.
    I am sure one day you will have a sewing studio of your own. Then you can have anything you want. It took me many years to get all my sewing and quilting equipment.

  14. #14
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,637
    Blog Entries
    1
    I do have a sewing studio. But I also do papercrafts and I have to fit everything for both into one room. I have, for papercrafting, two cricut machines, a wall of paper and embellishments, drawers full of stamps, ribbon, buttons, punches, ink, etc and a genesis paper trimmer which takes up quite a bit of room (but I LOVE my paper trimmer so there's no way I'd part with it). I also have the Accquilt go, 3 machines and a serger, 2 cabinets full of fabric, several drawers full of fabric, shelves of patterns and magazines, cabinets of notions, and somehow...even more. Not to mention my little netbook. I need to seriously do some purging again-I did about 6 mos ago but it didn't seem to make much of a dent. I just have too much stuff (oh and this doesn't include the dozen or so boxes of stuff in my entryway closet that I need to go through).

  15. #15
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I do have a sewing studio. But I also do papercrafts and I have to fit everything for both into one room. I have, for papercrafting, two cricut machines, a wall of paper and embellishments, drawers full of stamps, ribbon, buttons, punches, ink, etc and a genesis paper trimmer which takes up quite a bit of room (but I LOVE my paper trimmer so there's no way I'd part with it). I also have the Accquilt go, 3 machines and a serger, 2 cabinets full of fabric, several drawers full of fabric, shelves of patterns and magazines, cabinets of notions, and somehow...even more. Not to mention my little netbook. I need to seriously do some purging again-I did about 6 mos ago but it didn't seem to make much of a dent. I just have too much stuff (oh and this doesn't include the dozen or so boxes of stuff in my entryway closet that I need to go through).
    Sorry, All I do is mainly quilting so it doesn't take up to much room. All I have is 4 Featherweights, 2 301's, Brother 4000D, Viking SE, Pfaff 7570. Pfaff serger, singer 99K, singer 185J and an old Necchi!

  16. #16
    Super Member ScubaK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    South Puget Sound, Wa. State
    Posts
    2,182
    I have the very first model of Altos and I love it! It is a very fine system and I have had mine for almost ten years!
    I have replaced the mat but it still is wonderful.
    Kirsten

  17. #17
    Super Member gale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North-Central Indiana
    Posts
    4,637
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I do have a sewing studio. But I also do papercrafts and I have to fit everything for both into one room. I have, for papercrafting, two cricut machines, a wall of paper and embellishments, drawers full of stamps, ribbon, buttons, punches, ink, etc and a genesis paper trimmer which takes up quite a bit of room (but I LOVE my paper trimmer so there's no way I'd part with it). I also have the Accquilt go, 3 machines and a serger, 2 cabinets full of fabric, several drawers full of fabric, shelves of patterns and magazines, cabinets of notions, and somehow...even more. Not to mention my little netbook. I need to seriously do some purging again-I did about 6 mos ago but it didn't seem to make much of a dent. I just have too much stuff (oh and this doesn't include the dozen or so boxes of stuff in my entryway closet that I need to go through).
    Sorry, All I do is mainly quilting so it doesn't take up to much room.
    Actually even when I only did sewing I still didn't have enough room! lol. I just like to buy too much I guess.

  18. #18
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    Quote Originally Posted by featherweight
    Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I do have a sewing studio. But I also do papercrafts and I have to fit everything for both into one room. I have, for papercrafting, two cricut machines, a wall of paper and embellishments, drawers full of stamps, ribbon, buttons, punches, ink, etc and a genesis paper trimmer which takes up quite a bit of room (but I LOVE my paper trimmer so there's no way I'd part with it). I also have the Accquilt go, 3 machines and a serger, 2 cabinets full of fabric, several drawers full of fabric, shelves of patterns and magazines, cabinets of notions, and somehow...even more. Not to mention my little netbook. I need to seriously do some purging again-I did about 6 mos ago but it didn't seem to make much of a dent. I just have too much stuff (oh and this doesn't include the dozen or so boxes of stuff in my entryway closet that I need to go through).
    Sorry, All I do is mainly quilting so it doesn't take up to much room.
    Actually even when I only did sewing I still didn't have enough room! lol. I just like to buy too much I guess.
    The one who dies with the most toys wins!!! LOL

  19. #19

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Colorado
    Posts
    4
    Altos quilt cutter is the only way to go. Wouldn't live without mine.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Colorado
    Posts
    4
    Featherweight....do you have a family...you are toy poor.

  21. #21
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by Dianne120
    Featherweight....do you have a family...you are toy poor.
    Yes, I do have a family and they are grown, gone and have their own toys! And quilts made on my toys. I see you are from Westminster. Close to ???

  22. #22

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Colorado
    Posts
    4
    PM'ed you

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.