Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I doing this right ? >

Am I doing this right ?

Am I doing this right ?

Old 07-19-2011, 03:16 AM

I have made the 10 minute block. Now to size the block and to make the seams match. I need to make sure, that it measure the same from each seam? I am making them 10 1/2" blocks. That would be 5 1/4" from the seam down to the outer edge. Or is there and easier way?
Old 07-19-2011, 10:20 AM
Power Poster

Not sure what you are asking. Did you make the blocks a bit oversize & want to cut them down? If so, in order for the block to be even you would have to position your ruler at 5 1/4" from the seam.

If you are making the blocks from scratch, and you want a 10.5 (unfinished) block, you would cut the 4 background blocks 5.5". with a 1/4" seam this would come out to 10.5 unfinished.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:29 AM

If you are trying to make sure all of the blocks are the same size the first thing you do is yes find the center which would be at the 5 1/4; then make sure the top/bottom and both sides of the ruler are at the same 5 1/4 so you are "centered" and then trim anything outside of that area. You need to have a 10 1/2 or larger ruler to do it right. If you don't center it before you square it your block won't be even all around.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
If you are trying to make sure all of the blocks are the same size the first thing you do is yes find the center which would be at the 5 1/4; then make sure the top/bottom and both sides of the ruler are at the same 5 1/4 so you are "centered" and then trim anything outside of that area. You need to have a 10 1/2 or larger ruler to do it right. If you don't center it before you square it your block won't be even all around.
Thank you, I was hoping I was doing it right.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:40 AM

Great; I was hoping that I explained it so that you could understand; not always my best trait. I've seen some who just cut it down to size without finding the center and working from there and then the block is off balanced. Glad I could help
Old 07-20-2011, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
I have made the 10 minute block. Now to size the block and to make the seams match. I need to make sure, that it measure the same from each seam? I am making them 10 1/2" blocks. That would be 5 1/4" from the seam down to the outer edge. Or is there and easier way?
Oh my gosh, sure wish I had read this before. It just makes so much sense, of course you just know I squared mine the other way. Oh well I'll just re-square (is that a word). :oops:
Old 07-27-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca
Originally Posted by sewmuchmore
Oh my gosh, sure wish I had read this before. It just makes so much sense, of course you just know I squared mine the other way. Oh well I'll just re-square (is that a word). :oops:
Don't feel bad I did 4 before it dong on me that I was doing it wrong. :roll: