Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I the only one who didn't know this?? >

Am I the only one who didn't know this??

Am I the only one who didn't know this??

Old 04-15-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
There are differences. Hoffman is a great company. I purchased a Hoffman bali jelly rolls quilt kit. Some of the strips were 2.5, a lot were 2 and a eighth (ugh) I had already sewn a stack of four patches.....then found they didn't fit the block....so I measured.... Three different sizes in the three rolls. I was surprised, to say the least. I talked with Hoffman and they not only sent me replacement rolls that were LASER cut, they also sent 8 yards of batik backing of my choice to finish my quilt. The Hoffman rep told me that they had used a company in India that was cutting the rolls, by hand, ....she meant with large machine cutters, but they were not accurate, so ALL OF THEIR PRECUTS ARE NOW DONE BY LASER. The laser rolls they sent were a perfect measurement. Love it when a company stands behind their product, then goes out of their way to please a customer. Lesson.....always measure before use.
That's great! Good for Hoffman!
Old 04-15-2015, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I quit buying precuts because of always being mis cut. usually too short on width and length. so easy to cut your own.
I agree,never had a pre-cut jelly roll that was accurate.I make all my own cuts now.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:17 PM

This is one of the reasons I don't like precuts. I had an old Kaffe Fasset Jelly roll, I have had it for years and bought it at a yard sale. Also a new Kaffe jelly roll. Not even close to matching in size. Seems like whomever cuts the precuts hasn't mastered using a ruler yet.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:26 AM

I see your picture with Jenny from MSQC.... when I had a class from her, she said the measurement was from the OUTSIDE of the pinked area.
Of course the different companies we are finding don't follow that rule. I only buy them if I want a sample of the whole line of that fabric for a specific project!
Old 04-16-2015, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by petpainter View Post
I see your picture with Jenny from MSQC.... when I had a class from her, she said the measurement was from the OUTSIDE of the pinked area.
Of course the different companies we are finding don't follow that rule. I only buy them if I want a sample of the whole line of that fabric for a specific project!
That is exactly why I bought the jelly roll.. to get some of all of the line. It is a good way to accomplish that. I learned something, now I will be better prepared the next time.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:16 AM

this has happened to me as well....I always check them before i start my project...lesson learned....
Old 04-16-2015, 01:45 PM

Does this apply to charm packs as well?
Old 04-17-2015, 04:48 AM

I have also had problems with some of them not being 2 1/2" wide. I use a lot of jelly rolls so I always measure first. When I first started using them I had a lot of problems with all different brands but now they are much better. You still should measure first though.
Old 04-17-2015, 04:56 AM
Power Poster

This is what worries me about pre-cuts....too timid to buy 'em.