Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one who hates their machine threader?

You know the little device that catches the thread and threads the needle of the machine for you? I hate it! I can't do it! I can thread the machine in half the time myself. I feel like such an idiot. I've had three machines over the past ten years and they just don't work for me.

Sometimes I think, "ok I'll try it this time." Nope! :lol:

Banned
    i could never figure it out. :-(

Never used mine either. Tried it when machine was new but I can thread it myself faster.

if you have a Janome, use Schmetz needles -- If you use Singer needles, the threader won't work.

And here I thought I was the only one who couldn't get the hang of it :D :D

I am so glad I'm not alone!!

My machine is too old to have one and sometimes with my old eyes I wish I did have one. But after reading this, maybe not.

I don't have a problem with 50 wt thread but anything thicker doesn't work for me; one tip they told me was to make sure the needle was in it's highest position.

Blog Entries
    It kind of makes you wonder if anyone actually checked this out 'before' they put it on the machines! I have no idea why they thought it was such a good idea!
    I never use mine either, just because it's much faster just threading it myself.

Blog Entries
    I use mine all the time...but if it won't work in 3 times....I do it myself. I've found that if it won't work the 1st time, I hit the foot control to raise the needle and it works then.

I have a Brother Innov-is computerized sewing machine. I finally mastered the art of the auto threader after having the machine for a couple years.(Slow learner) The needle has to be in the highest position and the stitch number has to be on zero. Been working great. Hope this helps you, I also us Schmetz needles.

I may be in the minority here.. but I love mine. I have a Pfaff and it works like a charm. But, you do have to have the needle in the highest position. Plus I had to read the instructions again and again till I finally remembered how to do it! LOL

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Oh good! I'm glad to know I'm not totatlly inept! I have NEVER been able to do it either.

south east ND. 60 miles from MN and 25 from SD
    My new machine has it but it's a bother; as long as my eyes hold out, I'll thread the needle the old fashioned way.

Blog Entries
    Can't get my Brother threader to work either .
    it is just easier for me to do it the old
    fashion way :wink:

I have a Quilters Star Machine - No longer use - auto-threader use to work real good but, while quilting a twin quilt the quilt got caught on it and now it doesn't work. I found when I was using that machine - it just got in my way. When I decide to take it in for service, etc. I may see if they will just take it off.

The one on my Bernina embroidery machine I can operate. The one on the new Bernina 220 I bought just doesn't work for me. I love the threader that came with my Bernina 1260. It is a little thing that slides into the side of the machine when you are not using it. I hope they still sell extra ones. I mean to buy all that the dealer has so that I am never out of them.
    I think the reason they put the automatic threaders on the machines is so you couldn't use the feet from machines without them. I probably have fifty feet for my 1260 that won't fit the 220 for that reason.

cjc
    Mine works great if you use the needles that came with the machine. They seem to have bigger eyes than some that you buy.

I just don't use mine. Why, I don't know. Maybe if my eyes got bad or? So, I don't hate it, it's just ignored.

Blog Entries
    The threader on my Singer Quantum is the easiest one I've ever used. It works first time every time. It should be the standard for all machine threaders. The one on my Brother high speed straight stitch I have never figured out and have never got the thread in the needle with it. The one on my Janome Gem works only if I use Organ needles.

Speaking of Organ needles, that is the brand that comes with 99% of all new machines.

I just got a new machine a month ago and couldnt get mine to work either. I think they are worthless if you ask me easier to just do it yourself!

I have a Bernina 440QE and I use the automatic threader all the time. It's great! The trick is to tap the foot peddle to bring the needle to the exact position, and keep some tension on the thread with your fingers while using the threader. It's a technique that has to be learned, but once learned it works really well. I rely on it.

I'm like others, if the auto threader doesn't work the first time, I'll thread it myself.

bj
    I don't hate mine, but I never had one before and I forget about it being there. When I do remember, it takes me longer to use it than to just thread the machine myself. Something about "the way I hold my tongue" mojo doesn't work with the threader. Or maybe I'm just trapped in the last century.

I never use mine. I have tried, but I can thread it faster doing it the old fashioned way.LOL

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast