Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Am I the only quilter that does this?

Yes, I have the same problem from time to time and almost always the project never gets done. But don't throw out all that good fabric. There are members on this board who need and want your fabric and will make it work. I'm not sure how you identify those who want your discards, but I'm sure someone on the board can help.
    Quilting Makes Me Happy...

Blog Entries
    I would get all the parts together that go with the UFO: matching fabric and CUT STRIPS OR PIECES AND EVEN A COPY OF THE PATTERN YOU WERE MAKING. bag it up and send them to Salvation army or other second hand stores. Someone would be grateful to have it. I do this all the time.
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

I think in quilter lingo it is "working on your Phd" projects half done.
    :-)
    CAS

so you dont like your oldest daughter? or was it the quilt. lol sorry, im just playing with you.
    It sounded funny to me. so of course I had to comment. Ive had a few quilts that were started, too. Gave them away to someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
    I have a large lap quilt for my oldest daughter that I don't like. I had to put it aside because life got in the way and I'm having a hard time picking it back up now that I have time for it. I need to "Just do it". Won't we all be surprised if we like these quilts when they are finished?

I, too, have lots of scraps in all different sizes. I found that I love to do string quilts--and are they fun! You can take any scrap in the world and put it next to something totally different. By the time the quilt is done it is fantastic!

Bonnie Hunter has free patterns on her blog. There are string and scrap quilts, plus her own scrap saving system. Her site is Quiltsville.com.

Here is a picture of a string quilt I've made. It is in the quilt hoop now. I am hand quilting all the plain squares in between the strings. I already had some MQ the string squares.

Also, on the board in the albums, there is a section for string quilts. Take a look!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://q-nonnie.blogspot.com

I have this rope in my hands. I can't figure out whether I found a rope or lost my horse.

No, don't ever throw scraps and/or fabric out. We never know when we might get inspired by someone else's project and need those pieces we couldn't stand to even look at!
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

Blog Entries
    Yes, I make a lot of panel quilts for wounded soldiers and others. You don't even need a panel, just take a small ufo, sash around it with harmonizing fabrics in a circular direction and pretty soon you have a new soldier quilt. A friend gave me some of her UFOs and I turned them into much needed quilts for wounded soldiers in Afganistan. Maybe we should trade UFOs.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

I had a quilt top I worked on on and off for several years. I hated it. I really did. I pulled it out to work on at a retreat a couple years ago, but I worked on it very little that weekend. However, a few weeks later my in-laws came to visit and I had an epiphany! It was perfect for my FIL!! I was finally able to pick it up and finish it. I gave it to him the next time I saw him, he loved it. He got tears in his eyes and said no one had ever made a quilt just for HIM before.

Don't throw them out. There is someone out there that would love to receive them. What matters is in the hearts of the givers and receivers.

When I get a project half done, and don't like it, I will figure out what it is I don't like about it, and have torn borders off, and redone them using different fabric and then liked them. I also will start a few projects in between one when I dread the next step or I think I don't want to deal with it now. I have over 30 projects started at different points of being done, and I don't worry about it, because I log the finished ones, and find that I have finished a lot of quilts and they do get finished eventually. The one that dies with the most unfinished projects is the winner.
    Each day is a blessing, so do something you love each day.

Www.projectlinus.org. They have chapters all over and most hold blanket bees. Great place to sew, knit, crochet, cut, press, assemble, donate, on and on.

There are many people who spend most of their time making donation quilts. They purchase the fabric or depend on donations from other friends or quilters. I will be glad to take those uglies off your hands for a friend of mine.

I'm the vice president of our quilt guild and we do quilts of valor and Baby love. by all means send them to me i'll do something with them if your serious about getting rid of them
    *Rachel*

Blog Entries
    OMG, don't toss them. This is coming from someone who could really use them. I have tons of idea that they could be used for. Since I can't afford to purchase fabric anymore it just breaks my heart to hear the words "toss them." Please don't do it! Someone could use them for sure!
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2