Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I out of it? >

Am I out of it?

Am I out of it?

Old 03-20-2024, 03:14 PM

Default Am I out of it?

I've been sewing for 50+ years, always on vintage mechanical machines. A few years ago I got my first "new" machine, a Singer 4452 Heavy Duty. Also mechanical, not computerized. When I got it, I noticed no holes for oiling. I called the CS number and they confirmed, it does not need to be oiled. I understand, on newer machines they have plastic gears etc.

Today I read the manual and there is nothing about cleaning the machine. I have always done all my own maintenance and am used to periodically cleaning and oiling. It has been getting noisy. I took off the plate to access the bobbin area. Used my seam ripper and tweezers to take out a ton of lint, put a few drops of oil around the race (which is still metal) - and oh my goodness, so much quieter!!

So am I out of it, are we not meant to do simple maintenance on our machines anymore, but just take them in for service? I still do not see any good way to open up the top but since it is so nice and quiet now, maybe I don't need to.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:30 PM

Yep, they want our money. I have a Janome 4900 which is well out of warranty. The original manual actually said it had to be 'serviced by a licensed technician' every 12 months. It did not specify if I used it 8 hours a day every day or once in a blue moon.

I bought a digital copy of the service manual for a whopping $6.99 US a couple of years ago. DH helps me take the carcass apart and then I remove any lint that I can see and we just follow the manual as far as oiling is concerned. I will not mess with the computer components or the timing, but doing my own general upkeep is better than spending $100+ for someone else to oil my machine.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:35 PM

I bought an Eversewn Sparrow 15 this past summer. It is an all metal/non computerized machine. It began making a racket and when I checked the manual, the only thing about "noisy machine" or oil had to do with the bobbin casing area.

Didn't help... I eventually took off the cover and oiled (I don't know what to call it) the top bar and oh what a difference. But there are no oil locations like I'm used to...

I guess we are out of it and not expected to do simple maintenance any more. But I was willing to void my warranty on a $200 machine rather than take it in for service. My fancy dancy Bernina 820 (the computerized crummy one) died for the last time. In the last 7 years I've spent about 1k on maintenance and fixes and had a year of down time going to the shop -- not even counting the year they were closed for Covid. And though all of this, my vintage machine older than me (I was born in 1960) has cost me maybe $200 in 30 years buying new bands every now and then.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:38 PM

Some machines are self-oiling - the oiled areas are sealed, so oil does not leak out and lint does not get in.

I have service manuals for my machines. I got the one for my Brother PQ1500 from the FB group for that machine.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

I don't understand the oiling thing at all.
My Bernina 150 never needs oil. My Bernina 770 does.
I've never really thought to ask my dealer about it. I just oil the 770 as instructed.
Glad you got your machine quieter!
Old 03-20-2024, 08:13 PM

All machines need oil. The manufacturers of the new machines just make it difficult for you to do. If you can keep the bobbin area clean and oiled, that will make a big difference. The upper shaft sometimes has a little circle plug that you can pop out of the top cover to oil that area. You can also oil the take-up area, which is just above the needle. You don't have to open the machine to oil that area, just poke the end of the oiler through the slot in the front, and oil all of the joints.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH View Post
I don't understand the oiling thing at all.
My Bernina 150 never needs oil.
SusieQOH, yes, your Bernina 150 needs to be oiled. Your manual will show you how to oil the bobbin/hook area. If you don't take your Bernina in for a full-service (at least every 5 years) your sewing machine could get gummed up with old oil and freeze-up.

There are other things a sewing machine tech will take care of while they have your machine. We will check and set the timing, balance the tensions, polish off any burrs that may be on the hook or needle plate, check the motor, and do a deep clean.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

Thank you , Annette! I do get it serviced regularly but nobody ever mentioned oiling it and I admit I never saw it in the manual! I appreciate your response.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:12 AM

I have been quilting for many years also and have never taken a machine in for maintenance. I have a Janome and clean it myself and put a little drop of oil in the bobbin case area of the machine. Have never had a problem. I have a small tool to put on my vacuum cleaner that allows me to vacuum in the very small areas under the bobbin case.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I took a self maintenance workshop for machines and this is a few things I learned. Oil made for sewing machines is made to evaporate. Machines will clog up with oil if it didn't. Most machines that say no oil is needed have silicone gears impregnated with oil so as the machine is sewing it it self lubricating If you leave self lubricating machine in the closet for years, the gears could crack before becoming lubricated again. . I know the older Janome Jem machines are self lubricating. . All side loaded bobbins need cleaning and oil frequently. It's okay to use can air if the housing is off your machine, never use to blow into the machine. I piece and machine quilt on a Juki TL 2010. The housing is easy to take off and I can see and clean every moving part. A panel that opens on the bottom is a big help too.