Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Am I on the right track with my quilt? >

Am I on the right track with my quilt?

Am I on the right track with my quilt?

Old 06-24-2018, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Smaller quilts will help. You may want to make donation baby quilts for local hospitals, or toddler quilts for charity. Or alternate those with the big quilts you must make for family members. Also, look for tutorials on:
How to baste a big quilt without a huge table
Basting spray to baste your quilt
Using washable glue to baste your quilt
How to do quilt as you go to keep the size of your quilting area down
How to split your big quilt into manageable size pieces (great tutorial by Ann Peterson on Craftsy).

Quilt with your walking foot, not free motion. Simple straight lines are very modern and easy to do with your walking foot. So are gentler curves. This is also the best foot to use to sew on your binding.

Some people on this board use QAYG (quilt as you go) exclusively. Some use only free motion; some both; some quilt by check. Some quilt by hand with beautiful little stitches. Some quilt by hand with big stitch quilting. Some people tie their wuilts. It is all OK. But machine quilting is a learned skill and takes practice. If you are like me, sewing a straight seam took a while to learn.

It is simply not true that machine quilting is easier than hand quilting. Faster, yes; easier, no. First you need to determine if you like the machine quilting process at all. If you find that you enjoy machine quilting, look at the bigger throat straight stitch machines. Take a class at your local quilt shop. Go to the Minnesota Quilt Show next June in Rochester and try out some of the machines. Try them out at the shop if they have them available. Or a sit down midarm. Or quilt by check. You did complete one guilt beginning to end, so you proved you could do it. Now you need to decide if you want to do it. Life is too short to do things you don’t enjoy because the quilt police told you “It is not a real quilt unless you (fill in the blank)”. Do it your way and enjoy it.
I totally agree. You can also rent time on various long arm machines at some quilt shops and not have to make the sandwich ahead of time and stitch away. You may also be able to barter with someone who loves to quilt but not piece. So many options.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:15 PM

Tape the backing fabric down while you add the batting and top. It keeps it from wrinkling where you don't see it.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

Yes, you are perfectly normal. It takes A LOT of practice to get this "quilting thing" down. Don't beat yourself up and don't expect to create a masterpiece first time out. It takes time, patience, and LOTS of practice. You'll get there.