Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amish quilts >

Amish quilts

Amish quilts

Old 01-25-2018, 06:26 AM

Default Amish quilts

Another thread was asking about marking on hand quilting got me to thinking.......

i have acquired, over time, several Amish quilted bed Quilts-at estate sales-and all had very lite, almost invisible design marking on parts....so obviously not "washed". And worse, perhaps by some, I have not washed them since acquiring either and have put them on beds in my house. Further, I am thinking the fabrics used to create these masterpieces, were not washed or starched before construction either. This thought never crossed my mind before this. Hopefully, this summer we may trip to Amish country and I will have to ask one of the quilters there. I have seen Amish quilters sitting at the frame and occasionally run their needle thru their hair lightly. I asked why and one lady said the natural oil in the hair makes the needle go thru sandwich easier...I have done it and seems to work-maybe just seems that way!
Old 01-25-2018, 06:45 AM

I always use the needle-through-the-hair trick. It works! sharonve
Old 01-25-2018, 08:31 AM

The Amish in the area where I used to live in Maryland---used a pencil to mark the lines. I never bought one but thought it added to the quaintness of them.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:31 AM
Power Poster

I live about 80 miles from a large Amish community. We love trips there- the food, the fabric shops, the gorgeous scenery. I love it all. I always feel like we stepped back in time for the day and it's very refreshing.
One time my husband got out his camera to take photos of people- ummm..... not a good idea! We learned quickly.
We just bought a gorgeous cherry table made by the Amish for our kitchen. The chairs are so expertly padded- something I could never do as well. And the prices are way lower than any furniture store in Columbus. They do superior work. And a side note- they said it would be ready in 12 weeks and it was! That's rare these days.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:47 AM
cjr

As for the pencil markings -- There is an eraser for fabric that will get them off. I bought it years ago so do not know the brand. A soft tan artist eraser probably will work also.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
The Amish in the area where I used to live in Maryland---used a pencil to mark the lines. I never bought one but thought it added to the quaintness of them.
I remember my mother showing me the pencil marks on a quilt my grandmother made for me when I was a child.
Old 01-26-2018, 03:24 AM

I live in Amish Country. I love it. I help them and they help me. 75% of the households in this county are horse and buggy, non-electric Old Order Amish. If I go to a quilt show, I gather up a car load and off we go. All we ever do is have fun.

Marcia
Old 01-26-2018, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
I live in Amish Country. I love it. I help them and they help me. 75% of the households in this county are horse and buggy, non-electric Old Order Amish. If I go to a quilt show, I gather up a car load and off we go. All we ever do is have fun.

Marcia
how lucky for you. I admire their fortitude in this day and age, We go to Arcola area in Illinois---actually not for several yrs now., but have purchased furniture pieces made there...and yes quality and workmanship are superb, and priced reasonably...and the cooking-Yummy! Must put that on road trip list when we finally get warm weather again
Old 01-26-2018, 05:46 AM

I have several quilts that the Amish quilted for me. If they are washed and still have pencil marks, I consider it part of the charm of it being handmade.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:15 AM

I would like to see some pictures of your Amish quilts. Aren't they usually solid colors? We have lots of Amish near here also. They are very nice people, helpful and kind. They milk cows for my son sometimes, and they will do it on Sunday, too, but will not take pay for this work done on Sunday.