Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Amount of fabric for BOM >

Amount of fabric for BOM

Amount of fabric for BOM

Old 01-14-2017, 12:35 PM

I am in charge on the BOM for my guild this year. I found several I liked but there weren't any fabric requirements. I couldn't use them because I knew some of the guild members wouldn't be ok with that. I plan to scrappy. I refuse to buy more fabric for it. I have too too much. There has to be something in my stash that will work.
Old 01-14-2017, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by meanmom View Post
I am in charge on the BOM for my guild this year. I found several I liked but there weren't any fabric requirements. I couldn't use them because I knew some of the guild members wouldn't be ok with that. I plan to scrappy. I refuse to buy more fabric for it. I have too too much. There has to be something in my stash that will work.
good for you--our BOM chair at the guild decided last year to go all scrappy to get others participating--we do one for raffle and one for charity quilts and members had slacked off. The scrappy has really seen an increase in participation.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:12 AM

Thanks for all of your replies! We ended up getting five one yard cuts and two yards of a neutral. I know that she will probably have too much fabric but I wasn't sure if she would cut "smartly" and didn't want her to run short at the end. I used a five yard bundle last year on the Sugar Block Club and have a lot left over. I hope she loves the results of what we chose! She is coming over tomorrow to sew the first block. Should be fun! We are also going through my Block magazines so she can choose another project to work on. I have several jelly rolls I'm willing to part with if she likes one of those. (This is my daughter in law's grandmother so I have a double stake in this!)
Old 01-15-2017, 06:22 AM

My Bee did this last year and I made a Christmas quilt with a layer cake and lots of white. My advice is to use easy to coordinate colors. Yes, I ran out quickly of fabrics in reds. But the advantage was that I kept with the theme and added more fabric as I went along. As long as I could use the fabric in at least 3 blocks, I felt like it would work. We aren't complete yet.