Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another Batting Question

Ok so is it me or is batting getting thinner by the day. I have several different types poly, cotton, poly/cotton blend and they are about see through.

What is your preferred method if you are interested in having more than just a bedspread, do you double layer cotton batting etc?

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I haven't noticed that batting is getting thinner, but it's possible as so many businesses are cutting corners where they can to keep costs down and stay in business.

There are batting companies like Quilters Dream that make many different kinds of batting..., poly, poly blends, cottons, silk, bamboo, wool. Their Dream Cotton comes in several lofts --different thicknesses -- and is wonderful stuff. I prefer the Select loft, but they have 2 more that are each thicker than Select.
    http://www.quiltersdreambatting.com/default.htm
    Jan in VA

Blog Entries
    I haven't noticed this, but I usually buy off the bolt and can see what I am getting :D:D:D

If you are interested in getting samples of various battings, Harriet Hargrave sells a sample pack of the 16 different kinds of batting she sells in her store. If I remember correctly, each square is approx. 14", so you can have a sample piece and do a little quilting on it to see how it would work with your quilt. I didn't realize there were so many different types of batting. I especially enjoyed the feel of quilting on wool batting.

http://www.harriethargrave.com/produ...sp?cat=batting

Blog Entries
    I have a suggestion.....I just bought an entire roll of batting..and got it for $1.00 per yard (76 wide)...They told me that if you buy the whole roll, and they dont have to do anything (like cutting it for you) that is will be cheaper......this is worth knowing about....