Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another binding discussion >

Another binding discussion

Another binding discussion

Old 08-31-2020, 06:59 AM

I think it looks great.

I couldn't do it this way because I'd spend half again as much time checking the back to make sure it was caught.

I sew on the back and fold it over to the front and sew it down. Works every time.

Watson
Old 08-31-2020, 07:15 AM

I have been sewing the binding on the front, then trimming. My first trim is to leave about half an inch or so extra of back and/or batt. After the binding is sewn onto the front, using the edge of the top as the measuring line for the raw edge of the binding strip, I then trim the seam allowance to 3/8 inch. But I measure from my line of stitching. Now the binding needs to be pressed open very well. With a 2 1/2 binding strip to start with, that leaves just the right amount to turn under. With straight grain binding, I can do most of it without pinning or gluing. Only the corners need special care. I pin that in place a little before I get there. Once in a while my corners are perfect !
Old 08-31-2020, 07:34 AM
Power Poster

I tried that method and didn't have good luck. will continue to bind by hand!
Old 08-31-2020, 08:34 AM

I found some pictures of my machine binding the way the OP did hers. One picture shows the result, front and back, and the other shows the way I pin. Obviously I take the pins out before it get to them. I really like the way a decorative stitch looks on the binding. I generally use a feather stitch or a serpentine stitch, but I have used a variety of others including a simple three step zigzag.
Attached Thumbnails ab776a04-12b2-4760-8d73-b73b1a5e195f.jpeg   27b48842-17d1-4c90-9509-e966e4346c5a.jpeg  
Old 09-02-2020, 06:32 AM
Suz

Once the project has been squared and the binding is pressed in half (bias or straight grain), I stitch to the back after auditioning coverage from the front. I think the next steps are very important. Press the binding outward (away from the project), and sticking the point of your iron into your mitered corners to assist in formation on the frontside. Turn over and then press the outside edge again. This slight compression of the thickness is helpful. Since the binding strip is pressed in half, there is no guesswork in keeping the width consistent. Take time now to prepare the mitered corners, pinning and repinning as necessary. It is easier now than when the project is under the needle. Lastly, I use a decorative stitch on the front. (Owing to right-hand surgery, I am having difficulty hand stitching, although it is improving.) — I believe taking the time with the iron Is so important.