Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another Binding Question...

I have been using 2-1/2 inch strips for my binding. I am completing a new quilt that has a large white border and white back. I was wondering if it is ok to use larger strips...say 3- or 4 inches to make my binding an use a larger seam allowance when sewing the binding to the fabric so I would have a larger width of binding...I hope this makes sense?

Has anyone ever done this before?

It makes perfect sense, and sounds good to me. It's your quilt and if that gives you the desired look your are going for, then go for it. Can't wait to see the quilt. :D :D :D

Power Poster
    Yes, you can.

Only suggestion - do a little practice piece so that it ends up the way you want it to.

(Maybe others get it right the first time - I usually need to experiment a little)

Thanks for the input! I guess when it comes to quilting you can do anything you want to if you can make it work...Good idea on the practice piece.

Blog Entries
    I was wondering if it is ok to use larger strips...say 3- or 4 inches to make my binding and use a larger seam allowance
    I do it all the time. It just works better for me to have a larger seam allowance. And YES, it's your quilt and you can do it however you want.

Blog Entries
    Yep!!! Your quilt, your choice :wink: 8)

The only drawback would be if you have star points close to the edge that could get dog eared. Otherwise, go for it!

We are certainly not the quilt police. Enjoy!

I think that would look cool. Post a pic for us when you are done.

Blog Entries
    I'd love to see a picture when you're done. :-)

Blog Entries
    Why not, and show us the new look :wink:

Well, I did get my binding made and sewn to the quilt, but I only did the 2-1/2 inch this time because I already had several strips of the fabric I was going to use. I decided that I didn't want to cut into the BIG Scrap piece to do it...

I like the wider binding, so Iusually use a 3" strip. I set my seam guide for 1/2" and move my needle to the right one space. This makes the seam a little bit more than 3/8", but a little less than 1/2". It works for me every time.

Here's another discussion we had about wider bindings, maybe something on there that might help for next time.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/4973.page

You can also sew those wider bindings using the 1/4 edge of the quilt and cut your back and binding further away from the edge. This will give you a full wider binding. You will need to adjust at the corners so that your folded point will come out where you want it.

When I trim my quilts for bindings, and the bindings are cut at 2-1/2", I leave an extra 1/4" beyond the edge of the quilt so that the bindings are full.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluphrog
    I like the wider binding, so Iusually use a 3" strip. I set my seam guide for 1/2" and move my needle to the right one space. This makes the seam a little bit more than 3/8", but a little less than 1/2". It works for me every time.
    That's pretty much the way I do bindings too. I did a 6" binding for a quilt for my GD. I added rick rack between the quilt and binding. Turn our very cute.

I wanted the larger border on the front and not so much on the back, I sewed 2-1/4 binding with the 1/4 seam on the BACK of the quilt and brought the border to the front of the quilt.

Yes you can cut wider strips but you still need to sew it on the front the 1/4 " and fold it back over to cover the seam line on the back. What you need to do is when you trim your back and batting cut it beyond the front or you will have an empty binding and you want your binding to be nice and full.

When I made my first quilts I didn't know any different and used 3 inch bindings. If you are short on fabric sometimes 2 1/2 " can make a big difference.

Junior Member QuiltingWithMissy's Avatar
    [quote=Luv2Kreate]I have been using 2-1/2 inch strips for my binding. I am completing a new quilt that has a large white border and white back. I was wondering if it is ok to use larger strips...say 3- or 4 inches to make my binding an use a larger seam allowance when sewing the binding to the fabric so I would have a larger width of binding...I hope this makes sense?

Has anyone ever done this before?[/quote

Just be careful some times when you use a larger binding it will want to do strange things such as getting I guess you would call rolls in the fabric.

i've cut 4" strips and done it with the usual 1/4" on the front. but on the back i was able to turn over a nice broad binding. i thought it brought interest to a solid backing.

You have probably thought of this, but don't rim your batting close to the edge on your quilt. Trim the batting so that the nice wide binding is filled with batting, not limp. Continue your creativity!