Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Another binding thread

I just dont get it. I have taken classes, watched video's and bought a thousand gadgets. I do have to admit my mitered corners are much better but no matter how I try I cannot get both the front and the back stitching straight when applying a binding with a machine.

The only thing I do worse than apply a binding by machine is doing any type of hand stitching so that option is out. The back of the binding would come undone with the first washing.

I have stitched on the front and folded to the back and SID. I have stitched on the back and folded to the front and topstitched. I have stitched on the back and decoratively stitched the front. No matter what the stitching on the back looks like a snake. I tried a Martelli thing but it was not any better than using a 1/4 inch accufeed foot on my machine.

I have glued. I have clipped. I have pinned. I have stiched super slow to be accurate. It never ends up exactly straight.

I have cut the binding strip 2 1/2. 2 1/4 and even 2 3/4.

I feel like Im the only idiot who cannot figure this out. Thank God I have only given quilts to people who have no clue about quilting. I would be embarrassed if anybody who knows how to quilt would look at these bindings.

NO, you're not an idiot!! (Well, if you are, then I am too :lol: :lol: :lol: ) because I can't do it by machine either. I sew my binding to the front by machine and then wrap around to the back and hand sew. If I do it any other way, it looks, well, funky :lol: :lol:

Blog Entries
    I do not even try to miter any corner. I also sew binding to the front by machine and hand stitch by hand in the back.

I too can not machine stitch binding to the back of a quilt! I machine sew to the front flip to the back and then do a ladder stitch so none of my stitches are seen, I aline all my stitches just a thread or two BELOW the machine stitches from where I stitched the binding on the front! Nothing is seen and it looks clean!

Whew! I'm with you. I thought I was the ONLY one that didn't like the looks of the stitching on the back when done by machine. I suppose if I scruptiously measured the binding that was folded over, then secured it well, it might turn out decent. But that seems so laborious. So I am relegated to forever hand whip stitching my bindings :(

Blog Entries
    Thats how I do my bindings BUT when I get to the corners
    They are a mess.

bj
    I've only done a couple that I machine sewed the back. I usually hand sew the binding down. However, on the second machine stitched (the first was a mess and took it out and hand stitched), what I did was attach binding to the front. Then I folded binding to the back, but I pinned on the front, in the ditch (parallel to the edge), really close together, making sure the pins were inside the edge of the binding on the back. I tacked the mitered corners in place, then sewed in the ditch on the front. I went pretty slow, but it turned out pretty good. By pinning close together, my binding didn't fold or creep like the first one I tried.

Blog Entries
    I think this is the best machine quilt binding technique I have seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5...os=1nZBY_XIxcw

If you have a feather stitch on your machine, I think it would look fantastic on both sides.

I just had to do two today. Both lap size. The first was a mess. Luckily it is going to my dad and he wont care! The second went better. I just was super duper careful and luckily my bobbin thread was a dead on color match. Neither are show quality for sure.

I will share my miter corner trick from the class. You pin the binding, then you mark a 45 degree angle on the binding from the corner out about a half inch. I stick a pin along that line. Then you sew to where you hit the line (and the pin). You pivot and sew along the line to the corner. You fold the binding up along the stitch line--making the angle. Lightly press the angle. Fold binding back down. Square and press. When you undo the corner after all the sewing, grab the corner of the binding with your teeth (I swear this is what we did in class!) and grab the sides with your fingers and give a little snap. If you need to clip the excess batting etc at the corner.

I think I will just have to be very careful and practice. I glue or pin ALOT.

I have to sew mine to the front and hand sew to the back too.
    I have tried to do it all by machine and it doesn't look good at all. I know practice makes perfect but I've done alot of practicing and I've given up on it. :shock:

Banned
    check out www.quilterstv.com and under Quilters Cafe scroll down to the segment on binding. See if this will help.

I sew bindings to the front with machine, turn to the back and make small stitches like a ladder stitch just to make sure it doesn't come out. I always stitch a thread or two above the machine stitching.

I do all my bindings by machine - front and back - and what makes it work for me is that I cut my binding strips one quarter inch wider than most people do..by the time I fold it, stitch to the front and fold fabric to the back, I have an extra one eighth of an inch to give extra leeway to ensure I catch the binding when I stitch in the ditch on the front. I also make sure I pin so that I know where the edge is on the back - I pin perpendicular to the edge from the front and make sure that when I insert the pin the point of the pin goes thru the back binding and as close to the folded edge as possible. This way I know from the front that as long as my second stitching line is between the pin's entry point and the original ditch from the first seam I"ll be catching the back binding in my seam.

I love all parts of the quilting process til I get to the binding. I fight with it every time.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for starting this thread. Obviously many of us struggle with this phase of quiltmaking. Binding is my favorite part...because when it's done, IT'S done. I, too, am unhappy with machine stitching both sides. I do 2 1/2 or 2 1/4 depending on thickness of quilt and machine the front and hand stitch the back in small < 1/4" stitches. A few times, for children's quilts or wallhangings I have machined the back and then flipped and decoratively stitched the front. I like the way this looks and because you are looking at your flipped over binding, I feel like I have lots of control over how it looks finished.

The second one I did last night i started with 2 1/2 inches I sewed on the back at 1/4, flipped and glued the front at 1/2 inch width measuring it carefully then topstitched the front just a couple millimeters onto the binding. There is a seam around the back binding but it doesnt weave on and off the binding.

I can't do a good looking job by machine either ... not one that satisfies me, so I just don't even try any more. (And I've been sewing for more years than I care to admit.) I've never been in a time crunch to finish a quilt, so I do some hand stitching on the back binding each day until: VOILA, it's done ... and lovely!

I generally do the traditional method for binding but have done a few kids ones when I have needed a quick result. I make the binding two inches wide and attach the binding to the back first by machine then flip it to the front and do the nice topstitching on the front in the correct place so that it looks good on that side then hope it catches on the back due to extra width I made it. Then the not so nice or more uneven result is on the back. Hand binding is not my favourite but I prefer the result so it feels worth it. Also I have made the backing on a quilt extra wide and wrapped this to the front for the binding and topstitched on the front so it stays nice both sides. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Maria C
    I have made the backing on a quilt extra wide and wrapped this to the front for the binding and topstitched on the front so it stays nice both sides. Good luck
    I've also done this and find it very satisfactory.

Banned
    One national teacher uses the fusiable thread in the first stitching. Then fold to the back and fuise the edge of the binding just outside the stitching line that has been done with the fusiable thread. Then sid from the front.
    Her quilts are prize winners.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    One national teacher uses the fusiable thread in the first stitching. Then fold to the back and fuise the edge of the binding just outside the stitching line that has been done with the fusiable thread. Then sid from the front.
    Her quilts are prize winners.
    I can see how that could work very well if you are very precise when fusing the binding edge. I could never get it exactly right, I'm sure.

Blog Entries
    thanks for this link

Quote Originally Posted by Prism99
    I think this is the best machine quilt binding technique I have seen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprg5...os=1nZBY_XIxcw

If you have a feather stitch on your machine, I think it would look fantastic on both sides.

I do all of mine with a method that I found called "Magic strip binding". I ran across this in a magazine called Quilters Newsletter. It is the December/ January 2010 issue on page 50. It is by Terry Chilko.
    Quick and easy... Twice around the quilt and it's done.

Quote Originally Posted by seamstome
    I just had to do two today. Both lap size. The first was a mess. Luckily it is going to my dad and he wont care! The second went better. I just was super duper careful and luckily my bobbin thread was a dead on color match. Neither are show quality for sure.

I will share my miter corner trick from the class. You pin the binding, then you mark a 45 degree angle on the binding from the corner out about a half inch. I stick a pin along that line. Then you sew to where you hit the line (and the pin). You pivot and sew along the line to the corner. You fold the binding up along the stitch line--making the angle. Lightly press the angle. Fold binding back down. Square and press. When you undo the corner after all the sewing, grab the corner of the binding with your teeth (I swear this is what we did in class!) and grab the sides with your fingers and give a little snap. If you need to clip the excess batting etc at the corner.

I think I will just have to be very careful and practice. I glue or pin ALOT.
    As a hygienist, I had told my children when they were growing up that teeth are not tools!! I hope that they don't see this thread!!! LOL :)

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    I have a question: I haven't tried it yet because I'm confused, but I want to try stitching to the back and doing decorative machine stitching to tack the binding to the front. BUT - if I've left 1/4" batting around the edges (to keep the binding "full"), do I mark 1/2" down on the back and sew my binding on that line?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast