Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Christmas Present to Myself! LOL >

Another Christmas Present to Myself! LOL

Another Christmas Present to Myself! LOL

Old 12-15-2017, 06:53 PM

Thumbs up Another Christmas Present to Myself! LOL

I found a Deluxe Simplicity Bias and Piping Machine on Ebay.........was just looking for the bias maker but bid on this one, new in box, and won.
It arrived last night, so I haven't played with it yet!

I've started making 8" round potholders so thought this would come in handy as I seem to burn myself pressing the bias binding. I am not the most coordinated person.......fell on my front porch yesterday, ouch.

My insight with Insulbrite: for a few pieces I can deal with the fluff that floats, but I'm starting to mass produce the 8" circles on my Go! BIG and for me it was not the best idea I've ever had. Cutter works great but the fluffy stuff got in my eyes and irritated my skin. Now I think I will just go with the 100% cotton batting and maybe terrycloth fabric. I don't mind putting used towels in my own potholders but for gifts I want all new fabric, etc.

Hubby knows I was looking for the bias tape maker and since he wouldn't have a clue I just became my own gifter. LOL
Old 12-16-2017, 03:25 AM

So I looked it up and determined that if yours is electric, then it's a bias tape maker with and iron attached? Right??? There were some kits that had 4 sizes of the tape maker and some accessories. Since I have only one size of that tool, I might get that. Anyone bought that from China???

Marcia
Old 12-16-2017, 05:23 AM

Hmm, wonder what tha fluffy stuff is......get a mask and safety goggles...vac thoroughly when thru and wash hands well - would be my advice. Great find on the bias maker! I haven't shopped eBay in a long time, may venture back...
Old 12-16-2017, 05:35 AM

Interesting...I just went to eBay to look....is what you purchased the electric machine? I saw two there, well over $100.00 - and the other manual ones are "priced" too....what happened to the bidding on things at eBay...
Old 12-16-2017, 05:59 AM

Another question...I have 2/3 of the manual binding makers in my misc sewing supplies......actually never used them, but what size would you do to finish potholders?
Old 12-16-2017, 06:41 AM
Power Poster

I love buying presents for myself. I have several under the tree now. LOL I have the Simplicity bias tape machine. I use straight strips or bias strips. It makes great fabric handles for bags too. I add a fusible strip on the inside of the fabric strip and the machine irons it close. I then half it (make a 24" long handle to 12") and stitch it closed. When many of the stores were clearancing out the machine I bought two extra, too cheap to pass up. Walmart sold the extra tips for a long time. I don't think anyone knew what they were for. LOL
Old 12-16-2017, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Battle Axe View Post
So I looked it up and determined that if yours is electric, then it's a bias tape maker with and iron attached? Right??? There were some kits that had 4 sizes of the tape maker and some accessories. Since I have only one size of that tool, I might get that. Anyone bought that from China???

Marcia
Yes mine is electric. They are no longer produced so you will have to find it on ebay, yard sales or the sewitsforsale on line, maybe even a thrift store.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
Interesting...I just went to eBay to look....is what you purchased the electric machine? I saw two there, well over $100.00 - and the other manual ones are "priced" too....what happened to the bidding on things at eBay...
Geri I bid on eBay to get mine. Yes, I paid over $100. But considering how much I plan to make of the bias it is worth it to me.

I cut my bias at 2" and take a bit larger than 1/4" , if that helps.

Last edited by Tiggersmom; 12-16-2017 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I love buying presents for myself. I have several under the tree now. LOL I have the Simplicity bias tape machine. I use straight strips or bias strips. It makes great fabric handles for bags too. I add a fusible strip on the inside of the fabric strip and the machine irons it close. I then half it (make a 24" long handle to 12") and stitch it closed. When many of the stores were clearancing out the machine I bought two extra, too cheap to pass up. Walmart sold the extra tips for a long time. I don't think anyone knew what they were for. LOL
You were Smart!!! I don't know if the tips are easily available now or affordable, but mine came with 2 different sizes.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:34 PM
Power Poster

Not a thing wrong with buying your own gifts. One sure way to get what you want.