Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Connecting Threads question >

Another Connecting Threads question

Another Connecting Threads question

Old 06-17-2011, 07:52 AM

I perused the posts with Connecting Threads in the title and didn't find an answer to my question.

I received my first order from them yesterday, the Betula Grove Queen Kit by Mari Martin. The fabrics are gorgeous and I ordered lots of thread, too.

I was leery of ordering until I read so many positive posts on this forum. I have never ordered from them before. I placed my order on the phone and she stayed on with me discussing many things regarding the fabrics and threads, the order shipped out promptly, and I am very pleased with the service. And, No, I don't work for them...:) this is a free plug.

Question: Did you (any of you or all of you) pre-wash before you cut their fabrics. Most of the time I do wash but sometimes I don't. I'd just like to know what you do.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 AM

No,I did not pre-wash the fabrics I purchased from them. I did not buy any batiks,however. I always pre-wash batiks.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:57 AM

I never prewash but when I am using batik I do check the reds - I put a small piece in water - if it bleeds I either try washing it or just don't use it. I have never had a problem. Fabric has changed over the years and I don't think it shrinks or bleeds like it used in the past.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:58 AM

I don't prewash (gasp-I know that's a mortal sin). I would not ever prewash ConnThreads fabrics because they ravel so much handling them. I love their fabrics and order them; they just ravel more than other fabrics.
I've never had a problem washing the quilts/runners I've made with their fabrics if I wash them after they're completed.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:00 AM
Power Poster

I don't pre wash them but I do heavy starch and hot press all my fabric before cutting regardless of what brand it is. I figure if the fabric will bleed or shrink it will do it wet with starch and a hot iron. If you are sensitive to fumes some fabric may have a sizing on them that could irritate. I always wash the quilt when it's finished. I have lots of CT fabrics and mix them with other brands in a quilt and never had a problem so far.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:04 AM

I do not prewash because I love the feel of the new fabric as I'm working with it. I will test any dark colors that look suspicious (reds & greens). I've never had a problem with the raveling, but I know some do. If I should prewash for any reason, I always clip a small snip from the raw edge corners, helps with any raveling during washing, plus if it gets put back in my stash, I will know that it has been washed already. Many of ladies in my quilting classes do this also...I'm sure it has been done for eons! ;-)
Old 06-17-2011, 08:12 AM

Thank You!! I want to get started quickly and did not want to wash. The fabric feels great and I do starch and press before cutting and sewing. These are not batiks and they feel heavenly. My daughter is so excited. This is to be her quilt and she has waited so long for her quilt. Other quilts have been pushed to the head of the line and hers is the one that has to wait. I just decided to buy a kit and go for it. When the new catalog came in the mail I knew that quilt on p. 3 was hers. Thanks so much. :))
Old 06-17-2011, 08:34 AM

I nver prewash But then I generally only make wall quilts and minis
Old 06-17-2011, 08:36 AM

No, I never pre wash my fabric, unless required for a swap.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:44 AM

The last fabric I received from CT ran. I'm a big prewasher, but this was a jelly roll, so I didn't wash and it ran into the quilt backing: