Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another "light bulb" moment >

Another "light bulb" moment

Another "light bulb" moment

Old 08-11-2012, 07:50 AM

Wait a minute....did I miss something??? You said did you change or TURN OVER the blade. Can you turn over these blades to get more use...I did not know that!!! Please clue me in!!
Old 08-11-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Beebee View Post
Wait a minute....did I miss something??? You said did you change or TURN OVER the blade. Can you turn over these blades to get more use...I did not know that!!! Please clue me in!!
That is a good question, something I have not done either............pray tell ????
Old 08-11-2012, 11:39 AM

What great tips. Thanks for passing them on. I tend to just go along, la la la, and I know I should adapt some of your tips.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
What a fabulous idea!!!!! My DH is so bad with appliances, etc. and I have to spend a lot of time trying to find manuals, etc. - now I will just write on the hot water heater, etc, with a marker with the date we bought it, etc.
I have a big binder. In that binder I keep all manuals, warranties, etc., for appliances, mowers, whatever. I keep it in the kitchen out of the way. Also, every remodel of the house has photos of open walls, pipes, electrical wiring, insulation, etc., so when we sell our house the next buyer will know what was changed and how.

Didn't do it before, but after we bought a house where someone had documented how the swimming pool was installed - exact placement of plumbing, electrical, etc., and photos of the remodel of the attached garage into a large office area, I became a believer. They had a big notebook with information on all the air-conditioning equipment, pool equipment, carpet warranties, everything.
Old 08-11-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
I do this under the light switch when we paint a room. You always wonder if it was 5 or 7 years ago when we last painted the living room. My husband laughs at me but I write it there anyway.
Wish I'd known this years ago. My DH always thinks we painted "last year".
Old 08-11-2012, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
That is a good question, something I have not done either............pray tell ????
I turn my over and add a drop of oil. It really extends the life. I did not think about writing the date on. I like that idea. I have about 6 rotary cutters so some are always sharp and some always dull. I wait until they are all dull and then change them.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:49 PM

And the official paint color and how many gallons it took
Old 08-11-2012, 03:29 PM

Geez, you guys are smart. These are some really good ideas. I do write the change date on the water filter in my refrigerator. We did write the date we bought the house in the pantry. I do change the A/C filter on the first of each month when I pay the mortgage. But all the rest a great ideas. Thanks,
Old 08-11-2012, 07:04 PM

I just read in a magazine yesterday that CFLS are not meant to be turned on and off without a 15 minute rest in-between. Otherwise they are liable to burn out quickly. I never cycle my lights that often but maybe some people do?

Also, they have mercury in them, so if you break one you should open the windows, get pets and children out of the room, and wait 2 hours to clean up the mess. This is why they are working hard to develop LED lights to replace popular bulbs. Incandescent bulbs (the regular bulbs we grew up with) are supposed to be phased out by 2014, so the major companies are scrambling to come up with other ideas.

Originally Posted by pollyjvan9 View Post
Bella Boo, I can't believe you have that problem with the long lasting bulbs. Are you talking about the curly ones? I have them in most of my light fixtures now and the one on the front porch and the ones in the dining room fan were put in in the summer of 2007. The only bulb I have to change is the one on my range hood. I never buy light bulbs anymore.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:20 PM

My kitchen ceiling has six ventilated recessed lighting fixtures. The cfl bulbs would gradually turn to yellow light, then came an electrical smell and the bulb was done. The Philips customer service rep said the bulbs are not for recessed lighting fixtures because the heat will shorten their life. It didn’t say that on the Philips’ package, but it did on a Sylvania cfl package, also that light output will be reduced by 5% if used in base down position.

Our government has banned the manufacture of regular light bulbs, so I’ve started a small stockpile of good old fashioned G.E. light bulbs made in the USA. The Sylvania cfls with mercury are made in China which is probably a good thing.