Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another LQS closing..

Another LQS closing..

This one in Princeton Illinois....prices are great $3.00 per yard.....road trip!! We would go about 4 times a year for their sales. A very nice store. I will miss the visit to Princeton

What's the name of the shop? How much longer will it be open? Sounds like it may be a road trip for DD and me.

Sorry to hear another shop is closing it's doors. They are getting further and farther apart. My closest is more than 50 miles away. Am always surprised that quilters don't support them, but then I am just as much to blame. I just can't drive 100 miles round trip to buy the "better" material I need right now to finish what I am doing. Sad state of affairs but it seems to be part of the economy of today.
    God Bless Quilters and Sewers
    Marti

I spent several days in Princeton for a wedding a few years ago and there were two nice quilt shops in town. What is the name of the one closing? I remember my time there fondly - it was a nice town.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

We just had one close in "my neck of the woods" the line of "shoppers" was down the strip mall , had to be at least 200 waiting to get in . I peeked in and saw that they had marked down 25 % . Since they were only letting so many in at a time, one person had to leave before another went in.... there was nothing I wanted that bad to wait all day.
    I was sorry the shop was closing, it was one of my favorites.

Which shop in Princeton????

A few years ago fellow QB'ers and I had a "meet-and-greet" in Princeton and we visited two shops. Would love to know which one it is.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

Oh I really hate to hear that. I never took the time stop in on my travel to Ladd Peru. Doggone it. It is too far for me to travel too now and sounds a bit too late. I try to support our area store, spreading my purchases throughout the area. However, I don't have time to use what I have now.

Blog Entries
    That is a bummer to say the least. I live in Staten Island NY and because the rent is so high a quilt shop cannot survive, not to mention very few quilt in this hustle and bustle of a town. I sure miss NC where I had so many lovely shops.
    Create something beautiful from scraps.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hey all you Illinois girls. The LQS in Hillsboro is moving and has most of their stock 40 - 50% off right now. They lost their lease and are looking for a building but need to get rid of as much as they can because they don't have a place to store it while they get a building ready.

the shop in Princeton is Old Times......does not give an actual closing date, but sale is on now. It has oodles of fabric and also carries lovely lace curtains and mantel scarves......I am planning a road trip.........soon. I anm really sorry to see it go too.

I just spoke with her .. she said the sale is starting Friday May 17 and will continue until "whenever" they are sold out.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

I just remembered this - when I was visiting and went to Old Times Quilt Shop, I had a whole lot of fabric cut and then realized they didn't take credit cards. I didn't have my checkbook because I was traveling and didn't expect to need it. I offered to go to the ATM and get cash and the owner told me I might need my cash while traveling and that I could just send her a check when I got home. I could not believe it! She didn't even ask my name. I asked how often someone didn't send a check after saying they would and she said she didn't pay attention to that. She restored my faith in humanity. I bet I still have some of the fabric I bought that day in my stash - I bought a lot. SO sorry to hear they are closing.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Sorry to hear you are losing a shop - we are so lucky here that we have 4 nice shops here in town and another 6 in surrounding towns. I do my best to support them all!

Super Member frustratedquilter40's Avatar
    One of the shops were I live is closing also but the owner says it is because of health issues. Sorry to see her close she has a really cute shop that sits out in the country and was built on part of her property and her fabrics were always at least 20% cheaper than other shops around here
    ​Christine

Blog Entries
    I could buy wholesale, but I try to drop some $$ in each and everyone I visit. I want them to be there next time. Last week $300 in one and $35 in the other.

Marcia

The Old Times quilt shop takes credit cards now.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Wish I lived closer! Have fun!

Blog Entries
    Its so sad to see our LQS close, its very hard to keep a business in business these days, especially when you have the big box stores as competition. I do commend any small business that can stay in business. I ran a biz for 17 yrs, wasn't always easy to stay above water.That being said, my sewing is a hobby, I don't make any money from it, I would love to support my LQS but her prices start at 9.99 a yd. sadly I wouldn't be doing to many projects if that were my only resource for fabric. Please don't lemon throwing.
    Dee Lowe
    Las Vegas Nv.

Blog Entries
    When we lived in northern Illinois (Shannon) I LOVED that shop. At that time there were at least 4 rooms filled with various kinds of fabric. And their prices weren't sky high either. It was a wonderful place to shop. I loved it. So sorry to see it is closing. Wish I could afford a trip there now before they close.

Hmmm, I wonder when the Dr. will let me start driving again?
    This shop is 1 1/2- 2 hours away but there are lots of places that I can stop on the way....
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    Hhhmm, that shop is 3.5 hours away from me.....darn the cost of gas!!! I would road trip that far if gas wasn't so darned expensive.

Piecful hearts quilt sop in lisle, illinois is closing also

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
    I just remembered this - when I was visiting and went to Old Times Quilt Shop, I had a whole lot of fabric cut and then realized they didn't take credit cards. I didn't have my checkbook because I was traveling and didn't expect to need it. I offered to go to the ATM and get cash and the owner told me I might need my cash while traveling and that I could just send her a check when I got home. I could not believe it! She didn't even ask my name. I asked how often someone didn't send a check after saying they would and she said she didn't pay attention to that. She restored my faith in humanity. I bet I still have some of the fabric I bought that day in my stash - I bought a lot. SO sorry to hear they are closing.
    A story like this just re-affirms my faith in the goodness of quilters. I think you just have to be a person of integrity and compassion to be a quilter!
    MacThayer

Blog Entries
    I have one by me closing, i hate to see her close, our craft sure is taking a hit
    Mary