Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another QAYG questipn >

Another QAYG questipn

Another QAYG questipn

Old 12-27-2015, 08:16 AM

Default Another QAYG questipn

I'm doing a QAYG by rows using fleece as the backing/batting. There will not be sashing between the blocks but will of course need fabric strips on the back to cover joining.

I want to avoid the bulk of actual seams in the fleece.

So do the fleece WOF backing/batting strips need to be 8" wide since the blocks are 8-1/2" square unfinished?
Old 12-27-2015, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

That would be a challenge to handle the bulk from fleece.. Many of my friends have done the QAYG but none of them have ever used fleece.
Old 12-27-2015, 09:25 AM

I am doing a qayg w/ fleece backing. I am not sure if this will make sense or even work but this is what I was thinking, since the fleece does not ravel, I am making my fleece backing over size, overlapping on the back then cutting straight through both thicknesses of the overlapped fleece so they will match exactly, I then plan on hand stitching like w/ an "x" cross stitch. I don't know if this will work for you, mine is a sofa size quilt for adults (not handled as roughly as having children in the house) and my fleece is a baseball print so the hand x's should add to the design.
Old 12-27-2015, 12:36 PM

I used fleece on my previous one that had larger blocks but with sashing between - front and back. For that one I did as Kassaundra suggested and trimmed the fleece. Liked how the flannel sashing and cornerstones on the back created a grid design. But wanted to try it with a group of blocks at a time this go round. And the WOF of the fleece is just right for the width of the lap quilt I'm working on.

Wasn't sure how assembly would work using essentially the same method since there's no sashing on the front. Guess I'll find out. Lol!
Old 12-27-2015, 01:09 PM

I do not use fabric strips to cover the back joins. Mine are just seamed like the front. I use Kaye Wood's six hour quilt method, but do not use a serger. Her video displays long strips, but you can make those strips out of various blocks. This is a quilt I just finished within the last week, using the method.

Her video is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOTV-YSF-48

It is a queen size, 90 x 108 inches, reversible sides. Both sides are displayed.
Attached Thumbnails lindaquilt.jpg   lindaquilt3.jpg  
Old 12-27-2015, 11:50 PM

Since I'm using fleece as combination backing and batting I think I will still need the narrow flannel strips over the joinings.
But I will go ahead and see how it works to have the fleece and top sections the same width.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:58 PM

Well took out the fleece I'd chosen for this. Apparently I cut it all to fit a square four block unit instead of a series of long strips. Will go on and do it the way I cut it. And use the flannel strips on the back.