Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another Question on Bindings >

Another Question on Bindings

Another Question on Bindings

Old 11-27-2013, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

I just hold both in my rt hand as I feed with my left hand no pinning or clipping. never had a problem
Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM

Hi
If I want an extra perfect binding I will glue and press it to heat set...and if it's just an everyday quilt I just pin and sometimes I skip the pins all together...
Old 11-27-2013, 05:55 PM

I use Sharon Schambers glue method. Comes out perfect every time. Especially the mitered corners.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
One should use whatever method to get accurate seam allowances.
Most everyone writes about sewing a 1/4 inch seam. Does anyone sew other widths.
How do you assure sewing to the 1/4 inch point at the corner. Does anyone stop before getting to the 1/4 point.
Do you trim any of the point.
I use 1/4 inch seam allowance unless I'm looking for a wider look on my binding. As I'm sewing along, I keep a ruler handy. When I get close to the end, I mark 1/4 inch with a disappearing pen so I will know where to stop. I have tried trimming some of the point in an effort to get nicer corners but don't have much luck with it. In general, my corners could be nicer. The miter looks OK, but they are a bit flat across the point.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:28 PM
Power Poster

I do it without pinning. Machine sew to the front, hand sew on the back. Make sure joins don't end up in a corner. Watched Sharon Schamber video and wonder if one were going to hand sew the binding to the back, how the needle would go through the glue. I know when I use glue for the sandwich, the machine needle has no problem with it.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I do it without pinning. Machine sew to the front, hand sew on the back. Make sure joins don't end up in a corner. Watched Sharon Schamber video and wonder if one were going to hand sew the binding to the back, how the needle would go through the glue. I know when I use glue for the sandwich, the machine needle has no problem with it.
When the final glue step is being done, the glue is not applied on the fold of the binding. She shows this in the video. Also when glue is applied in each step it is set with a hot iron which forces the glue into the fibers therefore the glue doesnt harden.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Holice View Post
One should use whatever method to get accurate seam allowances.
Most everyone writes about sewing a 1/4 inch seam. Does anyone sew other widths.
How do you assure sewing to the 1/4 inch point at the corner. Does anyone stop before getting to the 1/4 point.
Do you trim any of the point.
I have never had a problem forming a miter but I sure had trouble getting them to lay the way I wanted. About 4 quilts ago I decided I wasn't a show quilter and none of the recipients of my quilts would know the difference, so I clipped a small tip off the corner of the quilt before I made the miter. What a difference! Now every miter is nice and sharp and lays flat.

ETA: I don't clip the tip until I have turned the quilt to the back and am finishing sewing the binding down. I clip as I go, not before.

Last edited by Mitch's mom; 11-28-2013 at 05:50 AM. Reason: To add when I clip
Old 11-28-2013, 07:20 AM
Power Poster

I use elmers glue.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:36 AM

I use hair clips! 6 for $1 at Dollar store. And don't pin it all the way around before I sew. I clip as I go about a foot ahead of the needle. Never had a problem with puckering or wrinkling.
Old 11-28-2013, 09:25 AM

I am going to try this on the quilt I intend to finish this weekend. Really truly! It looks like a very good way to keep your edges straight and as you said, avoid the puckering and distortion. I really like the glue idea as well since the upper edges of my binding always stretch when I sew them, even with my new fancy dual-feed Bernina! Thank you for sharing and Happy Thanksgiving! BTW, this was in response to Prism99. Thanks!

Last edited by MFord; 11-28-2013 at 09:28 AM.