Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another question on panels >

Another question on panels

Another question on panels

Old 03-08-2015, 04:15 PM

Default Another question on panels

I'm wanting to broaden my quilting designing and not sure if what I want to do is going to work. I would like to make a rosary quilt for elderly aunt so I need to make a panel and appliqué the beads and do some embroidery and finish it with squares around it. The panel is 33 3/4 x 44. I think I read on here
( not sure I read on so many different sites) that when you make your own panel it should end with 3 ,6,9 for your squares to come out correct. am I correct on this are am I thinking of something else. So sorry for so many questions. Everyone on here has been so so helpful to me and encouraging when I post pics I thank you all.
god bless
Loretta
p.s. I do have EQ7 but haven't figured out how to do a panel in middle and blocks around it yet.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:43 PM
Power Poster

Not sure about ending in 3,6 or 9, but if you are making your own panel, it will be much easier to shoot for a size where both the horizontal and vertical measurements are divisible by the same whole number plus 1/2".
So for instance, a panel that is 33 1/2 by 42 1/2. If you subtract a half inch from both measurements, you come up with 33 and 42, which are both divisible by 3. You can border the panel with 3" blocks in both directions and have it come out with complete blocks. That means the blocks would be cut at 3.5", and finish at 3". the extra half inch in your panel is for the final seam allowance.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:19 PM

in eq7 go to help then to eq lessons pdf and do lesson 5 it will show you how to do it
Old 03-10-2015, 05:24 AM

Thank you both so much..I found it and I have it worked out
Thank you again..
Old 03-10-2015, 05:48 AM
Power Poster

When I work with panels, I prefer using even numbers. What I do when dealing with a panel on EQ7 is to make a blank block for the panel and then make the squares as the border. Sometimes you need an inside accent border to work out the size of the your squares. Here is my EQ design of using pillow panels. Quilt was easy to piece with the color layout in my EQ design.
Attached Thumbnails minnie-mouse.bmp