Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another stupid question from a beginner....

Blog Entries
    I was just in the pictures section looking at pics...and someone has a lovely tablerunner. They mentioned that one day they would take the binding off and finish the quilting.

My stupid question of the day is.... why couldn't she finish the quilting with the binding on? Why does it have to come off?

I know after the question is answered I'll hit myself in the head and say "that was obvious"...but right now I can't think of why...

that is a good question.I bind when it is done-but if it is bound and you want to add more quilting I would do it without removing the binding

There are NO stupid questions!

You have only questioned out loud (or on the board), what many others were probably wondering and didn't want to ask themselves.

Thanks for posting the question.

Pam M

Blog Entries
    Some people stitch to the egde of the fabric. If the binding is on, you have to stop short of it or risk stitching over it. It may just be in the way of the look this quilter is going for.

Senior Member Candy Apple Quilts's Avatar
    I think Megan is probably right --- she must not want to risk getting stitches on the binding.

For a project as small as a table runner, I think I would do some hand quilting on it. Sometimes it's nice to have something to work on at night while watching TV --- especially after I have been standing in front of the machine all day. Plus, I like the look of hand quilting combined with machine quilting on the same piece. Call me strange!

Blog Entries
    I agree with everything said, also there is a chance of getting puckers if the back and top are not exactly the same size.

Blog Entries
    NOT a stupid question! I've thought the same thing. Thank you for asking.

That is not a stupid question. Im not sure why one would need to take binding off. If I wanted to add something after it already got the binding, I would just add my quilting and be done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Candy Apple Quilts
    I think Megan is probably right --- she must not want to risk getting stitches on the binding.

For a project as small as a table runner, I think I would do some hand quilting on it. Sometimes it's nice to have something to work on at night while watching TV --- especially after I have been standing in front of the machine all day. Plus, I like the look of hand quilting combined with machine quilting on the same piece. Call me strange!
    oh I do both in a lot of my quilts. and I have had a quilt on the wall for a year, and decided it needed more quilting so just took it down and quilted away! My sew and flip quilts, you quilt and piece at the same time? well after I put the binding on that is when I add the hand quilting. I have no problem with that.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    For me, the only reason to have to take the binding off is if the table runner was loosely quilted and puffy and would have "pushed" toward the edge and puckered

Quote Originally Posted by milp04
    There are NO stupid questions!

You have only questioned out loud (or on the board), what many others were probably wondering and didn't want to ask themselves.

Thanks for posting the question.

Pam M
    Agree 100%

Banned
    There is absolutely no such thing as a stupid question. One of the reasons to take the binding of is that the top can sometimes bubble a little as the machine foot pushes the fabric toward the binding. If the binding is attached, the pushed fabric has no place to go, so it can push up against the binding leaving a bubble or ridge. Please don't make me confess how I know this.