Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
And another thing… >

And another thing…

And another thing…

Old 03-02-2008, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by nanabirdmo
well steve, i have a little note tacked to the wall over my machine. it says
"color gets the credit while value does the work". not that color doesn't matter, but the mood of the piece is set by the contrasting values. don't you think?
ABSOLUTELY! :D
Old 03-02-2008, 01:36 PM

For me, the process is:

1) decide on the purpose of the quilt to be made: ie, baby quilt, gift, for me or no purpose
2) pull fabric collection to work from. The fabric collection is usually tossed in a pile on my sewing room floor and stays there while I am working on the quilt.
3) pick pattern
4) start cutting
5) decide I need another color or another fabric
6) go out and buy more fabric.

I am posting two pictures that are illustrative:

Picture showing the fabric collection I used to make Jack's wedding quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]3372[/ATTACH]

Picture of my friend Jack's wedding quilt in progress on design wall.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7047[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-3372.jpe   attachment-7047.jpe  
Old 03-02-2008, 03:08 PM

I can't say that there is any set way for me. Sometimes it is the fabric inspiring me, sometimes it's the pattern. I think all of it is as unique as the person making it.

M
Old 03-02-2008, 03:32 PM
Power Poster

It varies with each project for me. I prefer to let a fabric find me, then pull additional fabrics to work with the original fabric. I pull all kinds of values and colors that will play well together. Then...I mull them all around in my head for several days. Usually I find that the fabrics seem to call for a specific type of design..traditional type block, more abstract, stars, etc. Then if I can't find a pattern that fits what is in my head in one of the books I already own, I make up my own pattern (its way more fun that way).

I guess there are as many ways to do this as there are quilters.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:57 PM

hmmmmm.... for me, some fabrics call for a certain type of pattern, some patterns ask for special colors. I don't often use commercial patterns, but I love mystery quilts! Mostly I just make it all up as I go along. :D
Old 03-03-2008, 01:28 PM

Hi there! For me, it's always different for each project. Sometimes I collect fabric to try and "reproduce" a quilt or achieve a look that I really like. Sometimes I find some really fabulous fabric and I go hunting for a quilt design that will really showcase it or use it in an interesting way. Sometimes I'm just kinda "in" to a coupla color schemes...and then sometimes I find a quilt that I try to achieve interest and intesity through value. The only thing that is constant, is I don't generally think "color" or "value" it just kind of happens that way...I get a vibe for what I want to make, and play round until I'm happy!

I know she's a bit over done at times, but I love that Lynette Jenson in her books offers a palette for the "Thimbleberries" look. I think that's so appropriate, because tastes are so different, there is no one recipe for color or value that always works with everyone, and it's hardly fair to say you must do this or you must to that to make a great quilt. I really love to contain my colors and stick with a few colors in a few values, but then there's women like Bonnie Hunt from Quiltville.com who pretty much likes to throw in everything but the kitchen sink (definitely not my method) and she bangs out fabulous quilts!

To make a long post longer, I think there are some methods of choosing color/value that are easier than others, but the second you say you can't do something a certain way, someone will pop up out of no where with an amazing quilt to prove that you can. :)
Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by zyxquilts
hmmmmm.... for me, some fabrics call for a certain type of pattern, some patterns ask for special colors. I don't often use commercial patterns, but I love mystery quilts! Mostly I just make it all up as I go along. :D
A gal after my own heart!
Old 04-16-2008, 11:35 AM

It varies for me as well. Sometimes a pattern inspires me and I'll choose fabrics I think will work with the pattern. Sometimes I'll find a fabric I love and choose a pattern based on the fabric.

I agree, there's no right or wrong...whatever works!
Old 04-16-2008, 03:33 PM
DJ

I never much thought about it. Sounds like the "quilting police" trying to establish rules about fabric. It totally depends on the quilt being created and the person creating it. Isn't that the beauty of quilting, after all?