Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Another tip I found for all who tie their comforters

Another tip I found for all who tie their comforters

I sometimes use DMC thread to tie my comforters and the thread gets tangled. I read someplace about using a fabric softener sheet to run along the thread. It doesn't tangle. :-) Also a great tip for those who do embroidery.

Blog Entries
    hmmmm, i just found if i put a tiny bit of water on the post end of my earrings, they go into my ears much easier! go figure. just some good info for the day.
    i tied a quilt with embroidery thread once. surgeon's knot. some came apart. i had to do it over with yarn. But I did one not too long ago with yarn and it wasn't nice looking after washing. cheap yarn?

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    hmmmm, i just found if i put a tiny bit of water on the post end of my earrings, they go into my ears much easier! go figure. just some good info for the day.
    i tied a quilt with embroidery thread once. surgeon's knot. some came apart. i had to do it over with yarn. But I did one not too long ago with yarn and it wasn't nice looking after washing. cheap yarn?
    I have tied all my comforters. I can't machine quilt and can't afford to send them out. I've used yard and DMC and the thicker thread they sell that I can't think of the name and haven't had any problems with any of them. I always wash my finished products and they look fine to me. I haven't had any complaints from any I sent to family and I'm sure they would let give them back for me to fix if it didn't hold. lol

Neat trick on the earrings. :-)

I tie most of the baby quilts I make with the full 6 strands of embroidery floss and tie it with 3, instead of 2, loops and the finish by tying again with the regular way to tie. I never had a problem. Along time ago I tried to use yarn, but never could get the needle threaded. If I used a very large needle I couldn't get it thru the fabric and batting.

That's a great idea! I could see how a fabric softener sheet could make a big difference. Thanks!
    Annette in Utah

I also usually tie baby quilts. I use crochet thread/yarn.

Working with my church sewing group, we use crochet thread on the Lutheran World Relief quilts. I have brought a small pair of pliers to use to pull the needle through on occasion. Then a lady in our church who runs an embroidery shop gave us chenille needles, and it has made all of the difference in the world. They come in different sizes, but the eyes are easier to thread, and the needles are strong.

Here is what LWR says in their instructions about ties: Crochet cord or embroidery floss is easier and sturdier
    for tying. You may use yarn, but pay attention to the quality to ensure a sturdy quilt.

Opinion needed. We use only crochet thread to tie mission quilts. Is 2 “bites” of fabric before knotting enough, or should there be a third one ? Some of the “bites” are 1/2 inch which I think is plenty big.

Another little help to keep the knots from untying is to just add a small drop of "Fray Check". This will help keep the knots from undoing themselves.

As for the "bites" of thread (see message above): Once the knot is completed I cut at about 1". If it is too much longer you'll get a "ponytail" when washed.
    To quilt or not to quilt...now what was the question?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tranum View Post
    Opinion needed. We use only crochet thread to tie mission quilts. Is 2 “bites” of fabric before knotting enough, or should there be a third one ? Some of the “bites” are 1/2 inch which I think is plenty big.
    If you tie the knot with a surgeon's knot, it won't come undone. I use two surgeon's knots with every tie. No problems.

If you do an internet search for "surgeon's knots," there are some good explanations.
    Last edited by coopah; 12-16-2018 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Added comment
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

I use crochet thread on all my tied quilts and have no trouble at all.

My aunt loved to tie her quilts with Phentex yarn. After washing the knotted ends made cute little ball. Didn't care for that myself but she said it entertained the grandkids.
    GrannyLady - Having too much fun dressing my grandaughters.

Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
    I tie most of the baby quilts I make with the full 6 strands of embroidery floss and tie it with 3, instead of 2, loops and the finish by tying again with the regular way to tie. I never had a problem. Along time ago I tried to use yarn, but never could get the needle threaded. If I used a very large needle I couldn't get it thru the fabric and batting.
    I just did a little research and found I have been knotting surgeons knots! And I thought it was my own invention! Silly me!!