Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Another vintage quilt top.  So fragile.  How to quilt it? >

Another vintage quilt top. So fragile. How to quilt it?

Another vintage quilt top. So fragile. How to quilt it?

Old 12-09-2016, 08:40 AM

I would machine quilt a baptist fan pattern...very traditional for that era.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Janan View Post
I did think of using it (or others I have) as a summer quilt. How would I finish the edges?
A summer quilt has a backing, but no batting, so you would finish the edges the same as you would a quilt with a batt: separate binding or bring the backing to the front. summer quilts are also quilted to keep the 2 layers from shifting.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
I would machine quilt a baptist fan pattern...very traditional for that era.
beat me to it! My thought too........can also be hand quilted in the baptist fan design, if preferred.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:37 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

IF you chose to machine quilt it, I wonder if using an extremely lightweight fusible interfacing to the whole top, on the back side, would help it. I had to do this with a quilt I was commissioned to make of some African non-cotton fabrics. It did not noticeably affect the finished product when used with a lightweight cotton batting.

Jan in VA
Old 12-09-2016, 07:04 PM

As usual, great suggestions. I definitely will not tie it, now that I have such good advice. And thank you for helping me also understand that the quilt top is not fragile. The fabric is just thin.

To add to the mix, what is the best idea for the backing? A print like one of the triangles?
Old 12-10-2016, 05:37 AM

Another vote for hand quilting. I'd wonder if some of the maneuvering of multiple stitches by machine would be too much for the vintage fabric. How would your mother-in-law have finished the quilt?
Old 12-10-2016, 05:56 AM
Banned

Again, traditionally, it would have a white or ecru muslin backing.
Old 12-10-2016, 06:55 AM

I am with Jan I think I would face it with another fabric to give it strength. I have some quilt blocks that are made of thin fabrics and they are a problem to work with and I think if the thin fabric had to support the stitching of the quilting it might tear. With an interfacing that would take some of the strain of the quilting stitches.
Lynda
Old 12-10-2016, 07:02 AM

I have bought many fragile vintage quilt tops. I sent them to a long arm person who did a lovely panto on them. They are perfect now but I do not wash or use them to wrap up in, they are mainly decorative on my bed. I did wash them once after they were finished. and some I had to wash before they were quilted because they were either dirty or smelled badly. Good luck.
Old 12-10-2016, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
There's been some talk about using Tulle or organza or some type of netting over fragile fabric. This YouTube video would explain what I am talking about. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gxv2dyRQAE
I have never seen anyone use tulle for a large quilt. It is used on small-art type quilts to hold down tiny pieces so they don't fall off. Also, the tulle would be very "scratchy" if the quilt was actually used. As for your quilt, I would quilt it as if it were not "fragile". I also quilt vintage quilts and I use a longarm. (I quilt heavily).

One of my first "old" (1950's) quilt was difficult to quilt and a "learning lesson". I had heard that you should put interfacing on the back of the top because it is "fragile". I did this. There were a lot of problems with keeping the quilt straight, not quilting in puckers, etc. and the interfacing made it difficult to make any corrections. So....I do not recommend doing that either.

Ellen
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  

Last edited by Ellen 1; 12-10-2016 at 08:16 AM.