Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Anxious about Quilting Raw Edge Applique >

Anxious about Quilting Raw Edge Applique

Anxious about Quilting Raw Edge Applique

Old 04-11-2014, 12:44 PM

One of the national quilters who presented at my guild now uses a 'wobble stitch.' She described it as a very narrow longer zig-zag stitch. She used coordinating thread and her work was beautiful. For those who felt unsure she did say they could always use fusible and then the wobble stitch.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:08 PM

If you do monofilament, make sure and get polyester monofilament rather than nylon. Coats and YLI both have a polyester monofilament. Superior does too, but it's likely greatly more expensive.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:54 AM

Thanks for all the great ideas. I always thought I hated landscape quilts, but now I've done one, I'm having a lot of fun. I started out just wanting to make a little quilt for my sister and brother in law who are snowbirds in Fort Myers area of Florida, so they would have something from local wildlife: permit, sheepshead, egret, queen conch, sea grasses, bigeye. Now I want to do another, if I survive the quilting.

I'm playing with monofilament and a narrow zigzag - I am having trouble straight stitching accurately - I am too 'twitchy'. The new monofilament is a lot better than the old stuff...not so shiny and perky...But it really is invisible and hard to see when I'm trying to thread the needle and bring up the bobbin thread! Another learning curve!

That Phyllis Binkley site is worth a visit. WOW! her underwater landscape is gorgeous and she even has a jellyfish.
Thank you all for the great suggestions.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:00 AM

Cool

I agree, many options would work!!!!
Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
This is really cute! you could use monofilament and zigzag, use color matching thread and blanket stitch, use contrasting thread, straight stitch, lots of options. Play with it a bit and sit back and look at the various results to see what YOU like!