Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
any advise on tee-shirt quilt >

any advise on tee-shirt quilt

any advise on tee-shirt quilt

Old 10-01-2014, 08:41 PM

Default any advise on tee-shirt quilt

I am getting ready to start a tee-shirt quilt for a wonderful friends granddaughter (my friend passed away last year before we got to work on this quilt) this is something I really want to. Do any of you ,that have done a tee-shirt quilt have any advise for the process. I have watched the you-tube videos and read a lot, but first hand info is always best.Any help will be appreciated.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:55 PM

I would use a thin iron on interfacing on the backs of the T shirts so the fabric will no longer be stretchy, then you can work with them like regular cotton fabric.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:19 AM

definitely us an intefacing. I used tricot and put the stretch in the opposite direction of the stretch on the tee shirts. I like it because it stays very soft. Be sure to apply the interfacing before you cut the tee shirt to keep the edges stable. The one I made had come from various sized designs. I measured the smallest and largest. sketched them on paper to gauge how much of a border i wanted on each, then trimmed them all to the same size. I used a wiggly stripe sashing between the blocks to help me tie in all the different colors from the tee shirts. Other than the interfacing and size difference, it's just like making a cotton quilt. A bit heavier to move around when doing quilting on a domestic machine though. Be sure to have a table or something to support it if you are quilting it yourself.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:26 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by brandeesmom View Post
I would use a thin iron on interfacing on the backs of the T shirts so the fabric will no longer be stretchy, then you can work with them like regular cotton fabric.
This is exactly what I use to do. I still have a bolt of the featherweight Pellon fusible interfacing that I bought at JAF with a coupon of course. You may want to look at other t-shirt design on QB to get suggestion on your layout. Good Luck !
Old 10-02-2014, 06:49 AM

I just made my first one a couple of weeks ago and it was not nearly as hard as I expected it to be. My friend Marjorie blogged about hers http://b-quilts.com/blog/?paged=2 and I just followed her instructions. After you read the first post, click on "newer posts" at the top of the page and it will give you more information. She recommends French fuse, which is also what I used to stabilize the shirts and it worked great. Marjorie now has mine to quilt and when it returns home I will post a picture.
Old 10-02-2014, 08:26 AM

Katie is right on once the interfacing is on its just like a regular quilt. Good luck show us the finished one
Old 10-02-2014, 09:03 AM

purchase the book "You Did What to my T-shirts?" (spelling?). I ordered it and it has great instructions and patterns.