Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any big stitch quilters? >

Any big stitch quilters?

Any big stitch quilters?

Old 04-25-2017, 06:49 PM

Default Any big stitch quilters?

Is there anyone here who does a lot of big stitch quilting? The more quilts I make, I'm finding it to be my preferred method. I've mostly done straight line or echo quilting (nice around Dresdens), but have seen pictures of Jo Glover's work...enlarging traditional patterns and would like to try some. Any experience with that on the board? I'm also thinking about hand dying/painting crochet cotton (size 30 or 40) as I can't find much thread around here, and I just prefer the size of those threads.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:08 PM

I sure hope others chime in as this is something I have wanted to try but haven't yet. It will be interesting to read more and learn. Can you tell me what size needle you use? And, can you point me to some good tutorials or blogs that show this?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:15 PM

Wendy Gratz from Shiny Happy World and Jo Glover have good videos on YouTube. Jo is kind of the mother of big stitch in this country. It's a fast, easy technique and I like the look. Just want to branch out to more complex designs.
I personally prefer the Thimblelady XL needles. I think they were designed for sashiko, which is basically where the idea came from.
You should try it out on a small project, you'll be amazed at how quickly it goes. I'll post some pics when I get to my computer.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 05-27-2017 at 06:42 AM. Reason: per member
Old 04-25-2017, 07:57 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I LOVE big stitch handquilting and have been doing it for decades! We taught it in my former shop in TX 20 years ago.

I use perle cotton (comes in the darling little balls from DMC/Anchor/Presencia/Valdana), 12 wt. threads, #10 wt. crochet thread, Sulky Blendables, I've even used candlewicking thread (which is so much like sashiko thread I can't help but wonder if that wasn't what it really was in the 1980s). I wax my threads with beeswax from Joannes and use the large eyed longer needles or sashiko needles.

Big stitch is so much easier on my arthritic hands than regular handquilting with tiny needles and thinner threads.

Jan in VA

Last edited by Jan in VA; 04-25-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-25-2017, 08:16 PM

I am half way through quilting a quilt with big stitch quilting for the first time. For this quilt I am using aurifil 12 wt thread and Jen Kingwell's crosses technique. It works well for the pieced quilt top I am doing. For the border I am using a combination of stencils and hand drawing. It is turning out quite well. When I am finished I will post a Picture. It took me a long time to come up with a quilting design for this quilt. This is where I feel I am challenged. I see intricate designs, feathers, etc. on big stitch quilting, but can't find stencils for these designs. I am wondering how big stitch quilter's come up with their intricate designs? I am not gifted at artwork. Any ideas would be appreciated. I hope I am not hijacking this thread, but it seems to me to be relevant to the original question.
Old 04-25-2017, 10:11 PM

I'm the same way, can't draw worth a hoot! I am wondering about taking a line drawing of feathers, etc from one of my books and blowing it up on the copy machine. Can't hurt to try! I really like that type of work by Jo Glover.

As far as thread, I have used DMC embroidery floss, Perle Cotton (prefer 12 wt over 8 most of the time). Most of the stores just don't carry very many colors in the size 12. I don't like Valdani, it often shreds or breaks when I'm popping the knot into the quilt. Just did a lap quilt with it and it was fairly frustrating. I am using Sulky blendables right now (12 wt), they don't tangle even when I cut a LONG piece and are nice to quilt with. I just wish they were a little thicker, they are a little too thin for me. Haven't tried Aurifil 12 wt. How do you like it? I really do like the size 30 and 40 crochet cotton, but it only comes in white/ecru, etc, which is why I'm considering dying it. Anybody ever use tatting thread? I see it on EBay a lot, and have considered getting some to try.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]572112[/ATTACH]This is a mug rug I outlined with 3 strands of DMC floss. My avatar has big stitch outlining the leaf motifs of the batik background.
Attached Thumbnails dresden-close-up-resize.jpg  

Last edited by Faintly Artistic; 04-25-2017 at 10:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-26-2017, 07:32 AM

I like the auriful 12 wt thread. It comes in spools, two different sizes, that are easy to work with. The thread is strong and smooth, but the beauty of aurifil is that it comes in so many colors. I order it online from a company in Nevada that carries the full line of colors and have never been disappointed. I too like Jo Glover's quilting patterns and want to know how to replicate them or something like them. I know there are hand quilting pattern books available. How do you transfer a pattern that you like to the right size, then mark it on a quilt? So far I only know how to do stencils and freehand (which i am not good at.)
Old 04-26-2017, 07:57 AM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]572135[/ATTACH]This is a photo of the big stitch quilting I am doing. I got the idea for the crosses from Jen Kingwell.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 04-26-2017, 10:09 AM

Very nice, looks good on your quilt. I guess I'll experiment on a small piece and let everyone know how it goes.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:31 AM

Is the company in NV Red Rock Threads? I have ordered from them and been happy with their service and prices. At the time I didn't know Aurifil made a 12 wt and ordered Valdani . I will give the Aurifil a try.