Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any experience with renting time on a longarm quilting machine? >

Any experience with renting time on a longarm quilting machine?

Any experience with renting time on a longarm quilting machine?

Old 02-14-2015, 09:26 PM

Default Any experience with renting time on a longarm quilting machine?

I have two questions.

First: I've been teaching myself how to FMQ on my domestic machine. I am currently working on a twin-sized quilt and having difficulties wrestling with it. I've looked online and found a few places where you can go and train in on using a longarm machine and then pay by the hour to complete quilts. If you've rented before, how did you like it?

Second: If a sitdown longarm machine was available to you to rent, think you would try it?
I know I'll never purchase a longarm machine on a large quilting frame but I've recently seen the new Janome sitdown longarm and would love to have one. To help defray the high price I was toying with the idea of renting out time on it.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

The way I started was visiting a shop that offered a certification class then rented time, I took the class & rented time to quilt a couple quilts then decided to buy my own. Over the years I have had a few people come in, take the class, maybe come back & quilt a quilt (9 out of 10) have decided they would rather pay me to quilt for them instead of doing it themselves. I have a couple people who once or twice a year come over & quilt a couple quilts. The others enjoyed the class & doing a practice quilt but decided it wasn't their interest, or it was too much like work & they understand why it costs what it does to pay for the quilting. It is a great way to try it out & see if it is something you would want to invest in... Better than investing only to find you do not like doing it
Old 02-15-2015, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

I also think it's a great idea. If you have the opportunity, I would try both types of machines. I was doing FMQ on my domestic machine and was doing sort of OK, but when I tried the long arm at the shop I was in heaven. I know this isn't the case for everyone, but for me moving the machine was much more intuitive than moving the fabric. It's a different motion, so see which one works better for you.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-15-2015 at 05:44 AM.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

When I was quilting in competition, I never had a problem with quilting any of the quilts for myslef or for customers on my Bernina 1530. I certainly would give anything a try. I don't understand these LA on a tiny table. I would think you be constantly be adjusting the suspenders. I just had excellent support on my left side and support for the quilt behind the machine. Good luck in you exploration and just be sure to have fun. This is a hobby after all.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:46 AM

I just like the freedom of using the long arm on the frame versus the table it just reminds me of using my DSM when I use the table type, but that's just me you have to do what is best for you.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:16 AM

Are you saying you would want to rent time on your machine at home? I have done this with my HQ16 BUT only to friends who I know personally. It is a big learning curve for them and you have to babysit them for a long time. One friend got so stressed out she said she would be happy to pay me from then on to quilt her quilts...lol.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:33 AM

Thank you for all the great feedback. I'm definitely going to try renting time on a LA. I don't think owning one would ever be in my future. I still work full time so I don't think I could ever justify the expense of one. It great that people offer to rent their's. Thank you again.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt301 View Post
Are you saying you would want to rent time on your machine at home? I have done this with my HQ16 BUT only to friends who I know personally. It is a big learning curve for them and you have to babysit them for a long time. One friend got so stressed out she said she would be happy to pay me from then on to quilt her quilts...lol.
Yes, when I was thinking about renting time on the LA it gave me the idea maybe someone would be interested in time on a sit down LA. Maybe then I could justify buying one. I would definitely rent time if someone in our area had a sit down available but so far I've only found the LA rentals. I decided to join a forum to find out what others think. This is great to hear from experienced quilters.

I hadn't thought about people coming to use a sit down machine without knowing how to FMQ - silly me! I just assumed people would come who at least FMQ on their domestic machines. You gave me more to consider. Thank you.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:53 PM

If you rent time on your machine, as a business, you will need to worry about things like liability insurance, will you have to collect sales tax, etc. etc. etc. That alone would turn me off.

Also, I think it might be tough on your sewing machine to have others using it. I sew with several women for volunteer work, and some of them are really hard on their machines.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:50 PM

I so agree with Paper Princess:I was doing FMQ on my domestic machine and was doing sort of OK, but when I tried the long arm at the shop I was in heaven."
I too have quilted on my sewing machine. But it is hard and does takes some strength to move the larger quilts around. The longarm is a much easier way to quilt and if it is possible to find one to take classes on and rent it is so worth your time.