Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any Hand quilters left? >

Any Hand quilters left?

Any Hand quilters left?

Old 09-21-2017, 02:44 AM

I, too, learnt patchwork and quilting in the 80s. I used to hand quilt for many years but now machine quilt as I have too many projects to complete. It is something I would like to do again when time permits as it is relaxing and I love the look of hand quilting.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:05 AM

Another oldie here who started in the 80's!! I have only ever hand quilted and have done hand quilting on many others' quilts as well as my own. Anything I can do sitting in a comfy chair is OK by me! And I like the fact that with hand quilting, I decide where every stitch will go to complement the pattern. I know machine quilting can be very beautiful and is more utilitarian, but when I see a lovely pieced quilt with a random FMQ just going all over, I feel it detracts from, rather than enhances, the piecing pattern.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:10 AM

My first quilts were hand quilted and tied. Now I do my own FMQ on my domestic or once in a while have it done by a longarmer. I'm kind of yearning to do a hand quilted again. I also love the cozy, relaxing process but will wait until the snow flies here in Minnesota.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:27 AM

I like to machine piece and quilt during the day and at night while watching TV I like to hand piece and quilt. I'm trying to learn big stitch quilting. My stitches are horribly uneven right now, but with practice and I'm hoping they will become more even.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:31 AM
Power Poster

I'm enjoying all the comments.
I also learned hand piecing but don't do that anymore. I love piecing by machine. And I'm also learning FMQ, which is exciting!
There are so many ways we can do what we love
Old 09-21-2017, 05:34 AM

Location: Upper East Tennessee in the Blue Ridge Mountain Foothills

I'm another one! I work at a computer all day and the rhythm of hand quilting/piecing/applique/embroidery is THERAPY for me! I enjoy the intricate designs the most. I have a very basic Pfaff (old tiptronic model) that I love and use for piecing charity quilts and pillowcases and just purchased a simply sixteen (the little stand up on a 4ft frame) to turn out "Quickie" gifts and charity quilts. But my first love is hand quilting - use a lap hoop and/or a hoop stand. It is where I spend MOST of my time!
Old 09-21-2017, 05:39 AM

I am a hand quilter, have tried machine quilting and didn't like it, ripped it out. The only way I machine quilt is strip piecing which I do for baby quilts and I did a little machine quilting when I was making doll quilts for charity. I don't find it relaxing. When I hand quilt I use a hoop and a thimble. My favorite hoop is a 10" quilting hoop, I know it is small and needs to be moved often but I have a problem with the larger hoops. Everyone has a different technique that works for them.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:43 AM

Yes I still do, notwithstanding RA and other "old folks" medical problems! however I only hand quilt small sizes baby quilts, wall hangings) and use a hoop, I like the feel of hand quilted items, they are softer than machine quilted ones
Old 09-21-2017, 08:16 AM

I hand quilt a little. I have one quilt I'm working on with hand quilting, and about 6 others with machine quilting. I do enjoy the relaxation of hand quilting, but with so many quilts to make, machine quilting is usually my go-to method.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:20 AM

I LOVE hand quilting!!!! I have never sent out a quilt to be machine quilted--not that there is anything wrong with machine quilting. I love the final step, hand quilting, on each quilt top I make. I learned to hand quilt years ago, 40 years to be exact, from several older ladies in our community. Knowing I was interested, they would have a quilting bee and invite me to join them. It was a great honor setting at their frame with these special ladies-they became my dear friends. I've been involved in about any craft you can imagine, but hand quilting is my favorite by far. I can set at the frame all evening and quilt and meditate, think about past years, family and friends, and solving the problems of the world. This passion with quilts is therapy for me which I share with friends in the our neighborhood--teaching them what I learned from ladies that all now are gone but surely not forgotten.