Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: any Long Armers on here?

I got mine almost 3 years ago, just before my son and his family decided to move from CA to help me out. Everything got shuffled around to make room for them until they could build a house on part of my acreage. Still no house built but I am converting the garage to my quilting room. Now I need to learn how to use the machine all over again.

I'm one!! Time to get back into the groove, girl! Welcome to the board.

Me too, but am just learning. I don't have one at home, but I use the one at work.

Hopefully I will get the hang of it again. The queen size long cabin I was working on has faded after sitting for over 2 years. I am trying to practice on it but am having trouble with it skipping a stitch every so often. Any suggestions?

Does yours have a stitch regulator on it?

yes it does. Bought it when I sold my house in CA and got all the bells and whistles on it.

I'm a longarmer too! I've had my machine almost 2 years now and LOVE IT!

My machine is the HandiQuilter 16 with stitch regulator and have not had a single problem with the machine.

As far as skipping stitches I would change the needle, check the bobbin tension, check the needle tension. You might want to try a different bobbin, on my machine if my bobbin isn't wound well I will get skipped stitches.

What machine do you have? You may need to re-time the machine if it's been setting for a while.

Some things to try before re-timing:

Turn the needle. For my A-1, I put a pin the the eye, and turn it until the head of the pin is at about 5:00 (6:00 is the head pointing straight at you). This usually fixes it for me when it's only doing it when you are going clockwise and it skips at the 10:00 to 12:00 position.

Check your thread path.

What kinds of fabrics are you working with? What kind of batting? What kind of thread do you have in the top, and in the bottom.

Without knowing what kind of machine you have, I don't know if I should tell you to call your dealer. Mine is usually my first stop when I have problems.

I also have the A-1 with the computer.

The thread is the same as it was when I had to stop using it. I have oiled everything but I didn't change the needle. I will try that and take off the queen quilt and put a practice piece on it. Maybe that will make a difference.

I'm sending you a PM

Let us know when you get it back in good working order, k? Shelley has all the answers for you :-).

I'm not a long armer, but dream of owning one....

.... Need to convince DH to convert the sacred garage first.....

Glad to hear you are quilting with your long arm machine! I have been long arm quilting for almost 2 years and love it! I have a Tin Lizzie LS and have my own business quilting tops for customers and have a ball doing it. My advice is to practice, practice, practice and don't give up when you run into a problem. Long arm quilting has a learning curve and it requires practice as well as patience. When I first started last year, i practiced on old sheets and got used to using different threads and adjusting the tension before I put a "real " quilt top on the frame. Every few quilts or so, I still put some old stuff on to practice on-sure saves time ripping out stitches! Feel free to PM me if you have a question or two!

Good Luck! :)

My arms feel quite long after I have carried the shopping home, but generally I think they're about average.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Banned
    :lol: Too funny, PrettyKitty!! British wit is the best in the world!! 8)

There are some extremely helpful longarmers on the board, Law101. Creative, patient, and talented to boot!! :-)