Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any one know the name of this? >

Any one know the name of this?

Any one know the name of this?

Old 12-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: at the foot of the Ouichita Mountains, SE Oklahoma
Posts: 273
Default Any one know the name of this?

It is a thing made out of cloth. One is filled with sand, beans, something...and sits on your sewing table and the other end is a bag that hangs off the end of the table. The 'hanging off end' seems to have boning in it that holds it open. It is used to collect the threads ends and small fabric pieces as you sew.

I've seen this used and would like to buy or make one...but don't know the name of it. So far I just hang a plastic bag and shut one side up in a drawer and use that for my sewing trash.

Anyone know the name of this? It looks like it might be easy to make.
dray965 is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:40 PM
Super Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chula Vista CA
Posts: 6,950

I have always called them thread catchers. I finally bought one at a quilt show instead of trying to make it myself.
quiltingcandy is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Super Member
hopetoquilt's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,860

http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...l-t164064.html this is a tutorial by drickman and is great. She has made some great thread catchers
hopetoquilt is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Super Member
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 7,673

I've always heard them referred to as thread catchers, also.
Peckish is offline  
Old 12-30-2012, 09:05 PM
Power Poster
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Upland CA
Posts: 18,376

Yes I also call them thread catchers. I have made quilt a few the are really neat!!!
mighty is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 05:17 AM
Super Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 5,046

I made a really cute one, it's called the Abbey Bag.
Jackie Spencer is offline  
Old 12-31-2012, 07:24 AM
Super Member
joysewer's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,416

I have always called them thread catcher. I used aquarium tubing in mine to keep them open.
joysewer is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Super Member
thimblebug6000's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 7,047

The one I have was called a Tidy Tote.
thimblebug6000 is online now  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Super Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Mechanicsville, IA
Posts: 1,497

I don't use one at home, but I have one I bought at a quilt show that uses a small ceramic tile as a weight to hold it on the table. I like that it doesn't slide around because they used that rubber stuff like for the bottoms of footed pajamas on the bottom part. I just sit my pin cushion on top of it. I always take it to class etc.
Silver Needle is offline  
Old 01-01-2013, 09:47 PM
Super Member
slk350's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ft. Myers, FL
Posts: 1,925

I've thought about making one, but haven't yet because I worry about getting all those threads out of it to empty it as maybe being a pain in the butt. Any comments ?
slk350 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
04-13-2014 01:35 PM
08-07-2010 02:22 PM
2 Doods
07-29-2008 12:55 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

FREE Quilting Newsletter

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.