Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any recommendations for numbered pins? >

Any recommendations for numbered pins?

Any recommendations for numbered pins?

Old 01-31-2018, 09:07 AM

When I was working on my 1st bargello I also thought I needed to get some sort of pins to keeps the rows in order. Didn't care for the price I found for the flower head pins so made my own using alphabet beads with holes in them and my yellow headed straight pins. I slipped a bead onto each pin and let some Elmer's glue slip down into each hole and stuck them to the bottom of my ironing board to dry. I can make a dozen sets of A-Z from one bag of the beads and a box of my yellow headed pins. I've given a couple sets out to others. This way was much cheaper for me and if the bead comes off down the road, I just add a dab of Elmer's Glue and its fixed again.
Attached Thumbnails pins-letters.jpg  
Old 01-31-2018, 09:41 AM
Power Poster

My sister gave me some plastic squares that have come in very handy. I love them. Kind of like the little bread ties that soccertxi mentioned.
Attached Thumbnails iced-tea-anyone-rows-done.jpg  
Old 01-31-2018, 10:42 AM

saw them in the Nancy's Notion magazine that just came yesterday and thought they seemed like a good idea.
Here's a link:

http://www.nancysnotions.com/product...mbered+pins.do
Old 01-31-2018, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Some great ideas here! I was going to order the blue Clover flower heads but thought about how I like to use a hot iron and became concerned about melting the heads. I have been pinning post-its to the blocks with glass head pins, but they can get in the way when ironing, can come loose, and on occasion have stuck me. I use blue painter's tape all the time as my thread catcher, so I decided to test it out on a scrap of fabric by using my very hot iron on it for quite awhile. It peeled off fine with no residue! So I think that is what I am going to use. Will tear off pieces and mark them with a Sharpie. When I am finished, I might try storing them on the shiny side of freezer paper to see if they will "stick around" for awhile () so I don't have to re-make them for every quilt. Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas!

Tartan, I like your idea the best but I found out the hard way I cannot keep my design wall in my sewing room. We have 5 cats, all of whom seem to consider it a fantastic cat toy. I had cats trying to climb to the top of it, cats working vigorously at shredding the batting on it, and cats sharpening their claws on it. I ended up storing it in another room which always has the door closed to keep cats out. (sigh)

Last edited by Prism99; 01-31-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by soccertxi View Post
I use those flat plastic doohickies that close bread bags. I number as I like (usually 1A 1B ...for the first row and then 2A 2B etc for the second. If I lose one, easy to mark a new set with my sharpie. I pin thru the slot where you wedge the bag. Here is a picture...
Beth this is genius. And so inexpensive.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

On the smaller donation quilts I have been making I mark row number with washable crayola markers. I then pin each block to the one next to it. Markers always wash out.

On double/queen size I cut small squares of paper and number each one. 1-1,1-2, 1-3 and so on. I pin them with small safety pins. I save the pieces so I don't have to do it much.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:26 AM

I use the alphabet and number beads and put them on safety pins. Straight pins can be lost too easily for some of us. I keep them in a small round metal tin I found at a thrift store. So handy to use!
Old 02-01-2018, 04:37 AM

I do the same, mark the flower pins with marker
Old 02-01-2018, 05:47 AM

For those who use some form of straight pins: I bought a small pack of tiny plastic earring backs (the ones that go on the wires) and slip them onto the points. The pins don't fall off, and I don't get stabbed.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:12 AM

I have the yellow head ones and I numbered them myself to keep rows in order. Works great.