Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any remedies?

Does anyone else have this problem? I have been rearranging my stash and my hands get so dry after handling the fabric. I use hand cream AFTER I am through with the fabric. I have also noticed that my fingernails get dry and brittle after handling fabric & then they start breaking. Any good remedies?

The same thing happens with handling paper, the fabric and paper absorb the oils in your skin.

you might try to find lotion that is alchol free. i hand serve drying and it always hurt when i put lotion on.

Add afew drops of caster oil to your hand lotions. Really add moisture to your hands or body.

Senior Member CompulsiveQuilter's Avatar
    It's the sizing in the fabric. Used to work as a cutter at Joann's and my hands were a mess! The only solution is to pre-wash your fabrics.

Mine would get really bad, so I had to start washing my fabric as soon as I get it home. I also use Udder Cream regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    Mine would get really bad, so I had to start washing my fabric as soon as I get it home. I also use Udder Cream regularly.
    That stuff is so good for almost everything!!!!

Banned
    yes ma'am a product call aquafour walmart sells it. I have the same problems when I piece tops. doctor advised me to purchase some and boy does it work.

Blog Entries
    I wash my hands frequently at the blood bank, wear gloves but they still get dry. I keep a bottle of HoofMaker with me at all times and everyone who wants it can use it. Works well for me.
    I even put it in pretty containers at home and use it all the time.

I hear you on this, the skin on my thumb is actually peeling off! Not an attractive look!

I use UdderBalm most of the time. It has a mild fragrance which is important to me.

Sounds 'udderly' ridiculous but it works

I recently wrote about a product called "HOOF", that I found at Walmart. My nails are now being filed --- for the firt time in my life, they're GROWING!

And the only hand lotion I've found that I like and lasts (not having to put some on every half hour) is Gold Bond Ultimate Healing lotion. I don't have dry hands anymore!! Oh, Gold Bond also has a foot lotion -- no more cracks on my heals!

Quote Originally Posted by Deb watkins
    I hear you on this, the skin on my thumb is actually peeling off! Not an attractive look!
    Yes, I know what you mean, my thumb splits and starts bleeding. I get so mad. If I remember to be a rubber finger on that thumb it is great. I usually don't remember to do that until it is to late...

Quote Originally Posted by mommamac
    Sounds 'udderly' ridiculous but it works
    Shania Twain was reported to use the stuff on her face...

Thanks for all you remedies!! I am going to try the "hoof" because it the breaking of my nails that really bother me. I have Bag Balm, same as utter cream? As far as using it on my face, if I could look like Shania Twain I would use it. Thanks again

I use Gloves In A Bottle BEFORE and after handling my fabric. It's a great lotion and won't leave a residue on your fabric.

Bag Balm is the same basic stuff it just stinks where as the Udder Balm you get in the fabric store smells better. Bag Balm was made to treat cow udders when they'd get dry and cracked from milking. I guess the cows didn't care how it smelled. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I also use Gloves in a Bottle, because it doesn't rub off on your fabric, as raptureready said.

Try Cetaphil,works great.The derm. recommended it,no oils in it to clog pores.It really helps my dry skin.

featherweight, I use a product called 'New Skin' on my thumbs when the skin starts to peel. It comes in a small bottle (about the size of nail polish). It works great. Eiltcoq.

I use Wool Wax cream. Works great!

I use Satin Hands from MaryKay before I do anything with fabric and it seems to really help. I am a HUGE fan of MK but this keeps my fingers from cracking in the deep winter when everything is so dry. PS yes I sell MK

Quote Originally Posted by eiltcoq
    featherweight, I use a product called 'New Skin' on my thumbs when the skin starts to peel. It comes in a small bottle (about the size of nail polish). It works great. Eiltcoq.
    Thanks. My DH has some in his bathroom. I would probably forget to use it too. I may swipe it and put it in my quilting room, maybe I would remember to use it then.

Blog Entries
    I complained about the same thing to my doctor and she told me to eat a hand full of nuts a day. When I asked about my cholesterol and eating nuts she said they have the good kind of fat in them and a handful a day is good. She suggested walnuts, pistachios and almonds. I have been doing this and have seen an improvement.

Judy in Michigan

I hear you, between being a secretary for years, and all the fabric. I use and have used everything out there. So my remedy, just sit on your hands. When I'm all dressed up, makeup is perfect the correct jewelry...everything, then there are my hands....I just hide them. Udder cream works about as good as anything.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast