Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Any suggestions for new machine? >

Any suggestions for new machine?

Any suggestions for new machine?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:38 AM

Default Any suggestions for new machine?

More than 20 years ago, I bought a used Memory Craft 8000 machine. I have had the mother board replaced once and it is now going out again. Perhaps it is time for a new machine. In the past few years, the focus of my sewing has changed. I still do garment construction especially for my granddaughter who is now 16 months old and I make very elaborate Halloween costumes for my grandson. However, since my retirement, I am doing more quilting. Most of my quilts up until now have been tied quilts or hand quilted. I would love to start doing machine quilting which I have never done on my Memory Craft as the throat area of my machine is not very large. Does anyone have suggestions for a good quality, versatile machine? I have even consider buying two machines. One for quilting and one for construction/embroidery.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:44 AM

Do a search on the Board. Lots of info on machine inquiries.
sandy

i love my Janome 9900. Sews, embroiders, free motion.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

It helps to decide on your budget first. Whether big or small, budget eliminates a ton of possibilities. Quilters here use everything from vintage $20 estate sale machines to current top-of-the-line machines in the $6,000+ range.

Also, decide on the features that are most important to you. Needle-down is one of those features I need in a new machine, and is very helpful with quilting. This eliminates vintage machines for me. If you will be quilting on the domestic machine, you will probably want to at least consider the newer machines that have bigger harps (throat area under the arm). The Janome 6600 has been out for several years and has this feature; however, it does not have a freearm, which tends to be important for garment sewing.

Do you have any dealerships near you where you can go in and try out different machines? Buying a new sewing machine is like buying a new car; different people are comfortable with different brands and types.

If/when budget comes into it, dealerships often have very nice used machines that may have the features you are looking for.

Last edited by Prism99; 06-24-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

It depends on your budget. For machine quilting, the bigger the harp or throat, the easier it is to move a quilt through it. Make a list if your must have features. Mine were...needle up/down for appliqué and FMQ, a nice buttonhole stitch and a few fancy stitches, good lighting, nice size harp space, extension table. I bought a Bernina 440 with Bernin stitch regulator (BSR)about 3 yrs. ago for $3000?
Old 06-24-2014, 11:55 AM

I think that's the best place to start...making a list of what features you want. I love my knee lift, needle down, a nice bright light, and large harp space. I have a Bernina 820 and really like it. I originally wavered between Pfaff and Bernina. I got a Bernina because I loved one of the Bernina dealers here on my side of town. They have since closed up their business unfortunately. There is another dealer around but (in my opinion) not as friendly and less available than the other dealer and it's a long drive from my house. Oh, and I also have my big machine set into a cabinet that makes the machine bed flush with the cabinet. This is really nice for quilting. Happy quilting! I think a goid machine and good set-up makes quilting so much more enjoyable.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:23 PM

Start with you budget limits first. Then list your wants vs needs. Remember many quilters/sewers never use all those fancy stitches anyway. Then do an assessment of your own: would you even consider a used machine. Many folk do upgrade to get the newest or newer features but trade in a perfectly good machine to help cover the cost.

Then try out all the machines. Look for good service and continued support as you learn the ins & outs of your newly purchased machine. Dealers will often times negotiate prices too.

Then: decide which machine you bond with and works best for your own needs. Personally I am a Pfaff person because I can still sew with the IDT [dual feed] feature. Also, for me a knee lever doesn't work as my thing goes numb using it. Thus you need to match the machine with your needs.

Years ago I was offered free a great machine. I tried it and it sewed beautifully. However it was hard for me to see instantly what stitch I had chosen. As my kids were still little I knew I would have a lot of distraction. Those two things were why I turned down that offer. Even after all these years, I am still glad I did turn it down.

Make the process fun.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:23 PM

Good advice from everyone. Here are 2 good lists from http://www.sewmamasew.com/2009/06/bu...ewing-machine/. You can print them, answer the Wants & Needs questions and take the Sewing Machine Questions with you to the dealers:

http://www.sewmamasew.com/media/blog/SewingMachineQuestions.pdf
http://www.sewmamasew.com/media/blog/SewingMachineWants.pdf
Old 06-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Power Poster

Try using the search function. We have discussed this topic a lot recently. I like my vintage machines and lower end brothers.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

If there are any quilt shows near you, go there and test drive as many DSM as you can fit into one day. Take a notebook to write things down. At the end of the show, dealers are always willing to make deals so that don't have to take the DSM back to their shop. That is how I got my Bernina 1530.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:26 PM

I love my brother dreamweaver, it does everything