Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Any Thoughts on the Husqvarna Viking H|Class 100 or Similar Machines?

Any Thoughts on the Husqvarna Viking H|Class 100 or Similar Machines?

I'm finally at the point where I am ready to buy a sewing machine. I'd done some looking before, then life got in the way.

I'm a beginner with sewing machines. I'll want to sew clothes as well as quilts, and may want to sew some leather on it. I'd love to have embroidery on it, but I don't want to pay hundreds or thousands more just for that. I remember reading something about needing a high enough or wide enough throat?

Today I saw a Husqvarna Viking H|Class 100 that sounds almost perfect, and it's only $399. The outer plastic looks kind of cheap and cheesy to me, but I was assured that the innards are all metal and that it's a tough machine. It's portable, has adjustable thread tension, stitich width (up to 7 mm - is that okay?) and pressure foot pressure, and needle stop up/down. It's new, just out last month. Does anyone have one? Any opinions or impressions about it? Does it have all the basics I'd need? Any disadvantages to the model or the brand?

Any thoughts on other machines? I can go up in price (maybe to $1200), but again, not just to have embroidery.

By the way, PLEASE don't suggest a used machine. I know the benefit, but I won't be happy with a used machine.
    Yet another Lisa.

I have a Husquvarna 1+, designer 1, diamond, mega quilter, 18x8, and huskylock 910 serger I love them all they have been really great machines.

I have a Viking/Husqvarna Sapphire 875 Q - and I love it. It has many decorative stitches - it does not do embroidery - its a very nice machine and I am very happy with it. Is there a way to test drive the machine? That might give you a better idea on whether this machine will fill your needs. Hope it works out well.

I recently upgraded to the Pfaff Creative Vision because I wanted to really get into embroidery.

However, I have an old (Husqvarna) Viking 500 that I have had for at least 25 years. I love it and used it to make clothes for my children, nieces, nephews and grandchildren as well as for quilting. I still use it often. It is a work horse that barely needs any upkeep. I think you will be satisfied with your Viking.
    Shari

I have a Viking Platinum that I love. I would highly recommend the brand. No info on that particular model though. I would suggest that since you have the budget possibly looking at some of their other machines that have similar features and may have some more of the embroidery options you're seeking. I haven't wandered into my dealer's shop in a while so not really sure.

I have had Vikings for years. They sew leather, vinyl. I love the needle up and down. If you can go higher in price,
    the scissors is a BIG plus. Find a machine you like ask what kind of financing they have. See if they would throw in
    an extra foot quarter inch piecing foot or a walking foot. You will be surprised what they can do.
    LC

Will the dealer give good support? Any Viking issuses I've had have been handled superbly by my friends at the dealership.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 vicking -- A designer SE And Husquvarna 1+ love them both.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sew1096 View Post
    I recently upgraded to the Pfaff Creative Vision because I wanted to really get into embroidery.

However, I have an old (Husqvarna) Viking 500 that I have had for at least 25 years. I love it and used it to make clothes for my children, nieces, nephews and grandchildren as well as for quilting. I still use it often. It is a work horse that barely needs any upkeep. I think you will be satisfied with your Viking.
    I, too, have an old Viking 940 that is a workhorse if ever there was one! It has only been in the shop one time, not too long after I first got it, when I royally screwed up the bobbin and needed help. Although I am not personally familiar with some of the other brands, I highly recommend the Viking brand. I would ask them to throw in some freebies, and they will, if they want your business.

Quote Originally Posted by cairns View Post
    I have had Vikings for years. They sew leather, vinyl. I love the needle up and down. If you can go higher in price, the scissors is a BIG plus. Find a machine you like ask what kind of financing they have. See if they would throw in
    an extra foot quarter inch piecing foot or a walking foot. You will be surprised what they can do.
    LC
    Thanks for the suggestions about the scissors and the extra foots (feet?). I will ask. I do have the budget for more, but when I asked what a few hundred (up to $1,000) would get me, she said only more stitches. and embroidery. At this stage, I don't want to do that. In a year or two, when I have some proficiency, I'll consider upgrading. Not worth it now, when I don't know enough.

I'm just wondering why the Husqvarna Viking might be better than other brands or not as good?
    Yet another Lisa.

I bought the Viking H 100 just last month because I received a coupon for an additional 15% off of the sale of $399. I have the Sapphire 875Q and only bought the H Class 100 to use in classes or to take to the church. So far I like it and it serves the purpose of what I bought it for. I have 8 sisters and we all quilt and we have all owned various models. However at this time, everyone one of us girls has Husqvarna Viking machines and would NOT give a one of them up! Good luck with whatever your decide to purchase!
    God, Wonderful Family, Great Health, Awesome Friends, Quilting & Chocolates - - What more could a girl be blessed with!!

I own a Bernina 820 and love it. I bought it from a dealer who has been in the biz for 30 years and gives the greatest support. The machine does so much more than I am capable of at this point in quilting but I plan to grow into the machine and it is a lifetime investment for me.

Best wishes in finding the right one for you...

QKO
    We own a bunch of different Vikings and are very pleased with the quality and support. Cindy is considering buying that particular model to take when traveling to classes, etc, because it has everything she needs and is quite light.

Looking at the brochure, it looks like it has pretty much everything needed. About the only extra that's really nice is a thread cutter built in. PDF brochure at: http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/Im...ss_100Q_FB.pdf

If you're not going to haul it around much, a great heavy duty quilting machine is a 9 inch Megaquilter. That has a built-in thread cutter.

I have a Viking Emerald 118 - it is the only machine I have sewed on besides a borrowed Brother at the very beginning of my quilty life. I have had no trouble with it at all - sews like a champ, does everything I need it to without being finicky or giving me grief. I love it and would easily buy another Viking. I have not had experience with customer service, as I have had no issues with it, and like I said, my experience is very VERY limited. But for what it is worth, my machine is a workhorse and I love him!!!
    Sheila N.

When Thomas Edison invented the light bulb, he tried over 2000 experiments before he got it to work. A young reporter asked him how it felt to fail so many times. He said, "I never failed once. I invented the light bulb. It just happened to be a 2000 step process."

I know you said that you don't want a used machine but some of the Bernina stores are taking in trade ins because the customers are upgrading to the new 830. I have a girlfriend who got a really good bargain. I have two separate machines, one for embroidery and one for sewing. I can embroider while I sew something else. I have more machines but I usually am using two at any given time.

Banned
    I have a Viking/Husqvarna Quilt Designer II and I really like it.

Just shy of the 1 year mark the "brain" went out.
    Luckily it was still under warranty from the LQS where I bought it.

I wouldn't be afraid from purchasing another Viking

i`m on my third Husqv....and i wouldn`t buy another kind....just got a Sapphire 875 Q and I just love it!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 0tis View Post
    I have a Viking/Husqvarna Sapphire 875 Q - and I love it. It has many decorative stitches - it does not do embroidery - its a very nice machine and I am very happy with it. Is there a way to test drive the machine? That might give you a better idea on whether this machine will fill your needs. Hope it works out well.

Since a couple of you mentioned the Sapphire 875Q, I took a look at it online. The big thing I notice is the longer arm? throat? space for rolling up the fabric in your piece. I am concerned that the H|Class 100 may not have enough space.

Can you take a look here:
    http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/25554_25642.htm
    and let me know if it's adequate for clothes and quilts?

How much is the Sapphire 875Q? What makes it better than the H}Class 100Q besides the longer space?

Thanks!
    Yet another Lisa.

My husqvarna dealer told me that the "H" class series were the low end of their machines...She said that the stitching was adequate but not as good as the higher priced machines...I have a Platinum and love mine...If your budget allows I would see what types of deals your dealer can give you and go for one of the higher end machines...
    Kitty

So which one did you go with? I'm considering the Hclass 100 as my main machine - I'm new at this too. I like that it's computerized and has all the features that I could ever want, but I'm concerned that it might be too small for quilting which is something I'm getting into.

I would go one step above the H class 100 . I am from a family of Viking owners we have about 11 between 4 of us. we all love them . As to the H class 100 my dealer/repair person is not a huge fan of that one, as he thinks they are not quite the high quality as the others in the line... but added its new and he has not been able to assess them from a repair stand point. Viking at one time had the best warrenty , check out the warrenty on any machine you consider.

I've had a viking lilly for years and just love it. Woulldn't trade it in for the world.
    katigirl

I have an Emerald 183, my first machine. Thinking about upgrading to a Sapphire, but not sure. I've had the 183 for about 3 years, and I've not had any issues with it. It's been getting a workout lately, now that I've dipped my toes into the quilting world (whereas before I just used it for minor repairs, hemming, curtains, baby clothing).

Buy the best machine you can afford now. You will grow into the features of your machine as you become experienced. You might as well learn on a better machine and not have to trade up as quickly.

I have a Viking 550. It's about 14 or 15 years old and I have sewn clothes, quilts (including denim ones), patched heavy canvas work pants, made kids clothes and all the curtains for my house. Have never had any problems with it and it's only been in the shop once just for a check up. Nothing was wrong. Vikings are really good machines. You won't go wrong buying any one of them.
    Families are like old quilts....although they tend to unravel at times...each can be stitched back together with love.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast